Sunday, August 12, 2018

Tough Morning With Todd And That's All

Todd's Not Impressed
6:00-9:30AM Reeds Across, Green Cabin, Chuck's Point, Todd's Pond
63-73℉, Haze Mostly Sunny, 2-5mph SSE
76℉
15" Bobby's Perfect (Sparrow)
I didn't fish with Todd yesterday morning due to being too tired and I didn't fish with Todd last night due to going out swimming with the Todd and the girls on the pontoon and the Vikings game starting at 8PM.  The fish bit really well for Todd on both trips yesterday in the haze.
This is his FB message to me from yesterday morning.  In the evening he went to the reeds across the way and lost a bunch of bites in the pads in the Southern end and caught a 16-incher.  We started in the reeds across the way this morning. We didn't get anything in the pads.  I got the first bass in the boat just a 12.5" dink on the Bobby's Perfect Sparrow.  I think Todd caught the 11.75" fish from the first picture just as I was releasing my fish.  I got a 13.75" on the Sparrow.  We got to the "South Reeds Juice" and I caught the 15" there and Todd got 14.75".  Then I lost a 16/17 right at the boat.  When the lure popped out of the mouth my braid got tangled on itself, which I didn't notice and so I backlashed my next cast.  In a bit of frustration, I pulled out the backlashed line before getting to the line that was stuck further up on the rod.  The line I pulled out got caught on a reed tassel making a big mess.  I had to anchor the boat. Meanwhile, Todd missed a couple of blowups. Once, I got my line situation straightened out about 5 minutes later I think I missed a couple bites on a Jig.  I tried to teach Todd how to pitch, but he wasn't really picking it up and went back to the frog pretty quickly. I think we both missed a few bites in the North Reeds.  It was now after 8, so I took us to Green Cabin.  I missed a good bite in the rice in the pads/reeds.  I think we might have missed a couple more weak bites as well.  We got over to Chucks Point, nothing going there and Todd's back was giving him trouble, so he stopped fishing for a while.  Todd took me to the spot he got some fish yesterday morning, which I will now call Todd's Pond.  Basically, it's the spot just inside of the cane on Big Bass Point with thick rice on its western boundary. It's very bassy looking water.  Todd missed a couple of bites right away against the cane and I missed a good one out more towards the middle in the pads/reeds.  We didn't get any more bites.  You can bet I'll be back though.

I ended up not getting the Expedition to Todd before Dad got home, much to Todd's frustration.  I took Mallory out tubing.  When we came in they had all gone to Rock Lake to try out the runabout.  Mal and I went to check things out, but they passed us on the way there.  The motor worked great, but the cables broke and the boat was taking on water from somewhere.  Todd was mucho disappointed.  I went out in the Pontoon with Steve, Devin, Todd & the girls. All that time in the sun meant I didn't have any interest in going fishing this evening like I planned or on Monday for that matter.

No comments: