Friday, May 09, 2008

Opener Eve at the GOMH

Fishing Report: Before heading to the GOMH I went to Rock Lake to make sure my Husky Jerks were tuned in and didn't sink. There were less sinkers then I thought but at least half the lures needed to be tuned. No wonder I caught nothing on most of them last fall. At about 5:30PM I was done and headed to Bear Trax for some minnows. The lady who did the minnows took my minnow scooper out and forgot to put it back, agggggh. I then headed to the GOMH.

When I arrived there were 3 guys fishing the SE side and 3 guys fishing the SW side, but no one was standing in the upper area of the SW side so I set up camp. Almost right away I hooked into a nice silver but lost it as I tried to pull it up to me. That set the tone for the way things went. I missed a bunch of bites, had fish come off, and lots of times the bobber would go under for a second but would come right back up. There were a number of boats fishing the Sullivan side GOMH bay. I could see them catching bass, crappies, and sunfish. Fishing on shore at the GOMH was mostly slow with a flew flurries of jumpin bullheads.

As it was a ways into primetime and I wasn't getting hit Willard suggested that I switch up my jig. I did that and caught a keeper silver and two little bullheads then a jumper, but then the action died. I found out that Grumpy Old Man #4's name is Bud. At some point Jenny Olson's niece Pam showed up and she and this guy started fishing from the bridge. The guy got a silver, then Pam had a nice one on that she lost when she tried to pull it up and then she had a jumper get her caught in the weeds on the SE side and it ended up with a broken line.

The fish just never went for me. A guy and his son were fishing off the pallets and they ended up with about a dozen or more silvers and one orange. The Dad also caught 2 Dogfish or maybe the same Dogfish twice. As it started getting pretty dark I got fed up and left. I got 5-8 jumpin bullheads and 4 small silver bullheads. My next cast will be at midnight with a purple perch Husky Jerk 12

No comments: