Thursday, May 01, 2008

The GOMH 4-30-08

Can you tell what kind of fish this is?

It was this jumpin bullhead.

A hard fought hammer handle bullhead

Got a little bullhead.

I doubled my best silver bullhead haul of the year


Got to the GOMH about a quarter after 7PM. No Grumpy Old Men, I am starting to be concerned. The wind was whipping out of the NE and water was flowing into Platte at a slow but steady rate. The wind really blew my bobber around, so I could only keep it in a limited amount of the bullhead sweet spot. It did not take long and I had my first taker, a jumpin bullhead (pictures 1&2).

After a while of getting my bobber blown around I decided to try the SE side. After a little bit of effort my bobber went under and the fight was on. A small toothy bullhead ran himself straight into the shoreline bullrushes. I got him up but he was really hauling the weeds and I was not sure if I would be able to pull it out with the 8lb Fireline or not. While I was slowly trying to pull him in, the fish started squirming around and a good chunk of the weeds that were holding him back fell off. I was then able to pull him in, Cubby saved!!!

I tried the SE side for about 15minutes then went back to the SW side. As it was starting to get dark the bobber went under and I fought a 15.5" jumpin bullhead. Then I caught a 13" jumpin bullhead. And a little while later I had another decent but not huge jumpin bullhead pulling on my line. I fought him for a little bit and then my hook came out when he was at the surface. Little Bass Lake Rules, it counted as a catch.

It was getting so dark I could hardly see my bobber when the first silver bullhead struck. It was a small one about 8inches. About 10 minutes later I nabbed another bullhead, this one was about 9.75inches. I didn't fish to much longer as that it had gotten quite dark.

No comments: