Sunday, May 11, 2008

GOMH for 2.5 Hours

Dad and I headed to the GOMH at about 6:30pm and since it was such a nice night, sunny 55 degrees, I was not surprised to see all four corner of the GOMH covered up. Dad and I got out of the car and hung out for a bit. Willard was there of course along with a family with 2 or 3 kids and a group of 3 guys and 2 girls, but only 1 person in this group was fishing when we got there. After a short time the SE side opened up and I went to casting a spinnerbait. I didn't get anything on about a dozen casts, so back to the truck, I went to get the X-Raps. I put on the #8 White X-Rap and quickly caught a 14inch jumpin bullhead, but that was all I got on the various X-Raps I tried. I then went and got the Cubby Rod and minnows. My first fish was a solid silver bullhead. I then caught another nice Silver and it was shaping up to be a good night. Pallet Man showed up and started fishing from the pallets along with Waterboy. The people on the SW side were starting to catch silvers but many of them were small. Dad was content to stay on the bridge and watch.

My bobber went down and I missed a small toothy bullhead. Then I hooked into a jumper who swam straight for the weeds. Willard suggested I move to the SW side of the bridge because that would give me a better angle for pulling the fish free of or through the weeds. That worked and I didn't have to break my line, but the hook broke when I took it out of the bullheads mouth. I am now down to my last glow Cubby Jig; I think I had seven, to begin with. I then caught a 19" toother and then a couple of small silvers. I got one more Silver than missed 3-4 fish. It was getting to the point where I needed to light the bobber up or go home. I chose to go home. The people on the SW side did have a fair amount of action but lots of small ones. I gave my 3 silvers away.

Dad had a good time jawing with people including GOM Bud and Willard.

The CO Kuske also came by for a bit. He looked into pails and chatted. He didn't check for licenses this time either.

No comments: