Thursday, May 08, 2008

GOMH 5-7-2008

Although you really can't see him, behind Lee Ander is Lewis aka Grumpy Old Man #3.


The day started out with a trip into Onamia to check out the new Reeds Sporting Goods store. They did not have the Shimano Crucial rod I wanted, but I did pick up a Pokegama map, X-Rap, and sinkers.

I headed to the GOMH about 5PM and when I got there both Willard and Lewis were in their trucks watching the day go by. I started out by putting a couple of reels I won on Ebay through some paces (Team Daiwa X-103HVA & Team Daiwa S-103HVA). I was satisfied they worked as advertised after getting a few bullheads on each. I then started fishing with a small jig and glow twister tail and caught a couple of more bullheads. I had something stike and and peel some drag then get into the weeds and get off. Could have been a dogfish, jumpin bullhead, toothy bullhead, or even a carp, I didn't get to see it. After a while I switched to the glow Cubby under a bobber with a minnow and things got slow. I did catch the occasional bullhead including one TOAD. I got the TOAD up to shore but still in the water and started fiddling with the camera because I wanted a pic. The Toad eventually started flopping and went right into a clump of weeds and got hung up. As I tried to free him my line broke and the fish ended up swimming away with my glow Cubby in full view. I was not happy.

Action was slow but steady on jumpers until a little after 8PM when "Pallet Man" scored the first silver. It took quite a while before I scored my first. I ended up catching 10 silver bullheads but 5 of them were not all that big. I kept 7. Pallet Man and Waterboy caught just short of two limits before we all left just short of 10PM. In total I got 10 silvers, 13 jumpers, and 1 toothy bullhead.

Also a rare appearance was made by Mr. Foulmouth Grumpy Old Man #4. He and Willard shot the breeze for a little while. The GOM were high entertainment as usual.

No comments: