Saturday, May 25, 2019

Tough Bass Opener Morning/Evening Trip With Todd

17.75" SK Pure Poison/Grass Pig Jr.
4:45-6:15AM GOMH
7:00-11:00AM North Center to Starting Spot
56-58℉, Partly Cloudy turning overcast, 8-18mph SSW WSW, High Rising Water
54-55℉ Water Temp

Wheelhouse Guy was there when I arrived, no golden's. John W. with a friend arrived soon thereafter with me down on the NE side getting nothing.  WHG was getting a few jumpers.  The female friend missed a jumper then John caught a couple.  I got a small jumper on the orange Shower Blows and a toothy on the KVD 2.5.  I stayed way longer than I should have.  By the time I was heading North in the boat it had clouded up and gotten pretty windy.  I went to Big Bass Point.  In the first 20 mintes, I had a 16-incher in the boat on the Rage Swimmer.  Then it went off the rails for a bit as I missed a fish, I caught pike which made me retie and the fish weren't in the pads in the bay.  By the time I got to Double Cane, I was stuck in neutral.  I had to set down and think.  The plan was to try out a little deeper and drift to the starting spot.  Just on the other side of the cane, I caught fish on three straight casts then drifted into them when I didn't notice the anchor didn't hold.  Was not happy about that.  I got the 17-incher a little before the starting spot.   I was getting tired so I quit at 11AM.  It's amazing with the high water how little sign there is of the reeds.  Water temp is 15 degrees behind last year. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We got the dock in.

The girls got settled in

16.75" POison/Grass Pig Jr.


And Todd caught all the fish
8:00-9:30PM PLatte F Flat
62-58℉, Partly Cloudy, 2-4mph NW, Water High Rising
55℉ water Temp

Todd thought we should maximize fishing time so I took us to F Flat.  He quickly got the big bass of the night.  Fish weren't on topwater.  I ended up getting skunked.  They were super shallow for the most part and people were on most of the docks so we couldn't get to them.  Todd ended up with 7 bass and 2 pike, so it was a productive trip.
14.02lbs for the Day



No comments: