Monday, August 14, 2017

Slow Morning Under Good Conditions

16.25" Hack Attack Jig/Craw Fatty
7:30AM-1:30PM GOMH, Pad Point, SPSI, East of GOMH, Channel Inn Bay
Conditions: 53-71℉, Cloudy to Partly Cloudy, Calm to Light ESE ENE Wind
Water Temp: 69-71℉
17" SBKO (Black/herring bone)
Due to it raining this morning I got a later start than normal.  I stopped at the Grumpy Old Man Hole first.  I got the toothy bullhead on the Shower Blows knock off and had 15/16" class jumper jump me off on the Mad Maxx frog.

I then went and got water pumped out of the Trophy and headed to "Pad Point".  I got an 18" pike on the Yo-Zuri 3DB Pencil.  There was some fish activity in the shallow slop, but I couldn't get anything.  I went to West Point and didn't get anything there.
8.5" Whopper Plopper 130

Next stop was the South point of the small island.  I got that dink on the Plopper.  As you can see conditions were ideal for a topwater bite to be going on.  There was ever baitfish activity all over the place, but bigger fish just weren't active probably due to the drop in water temp. Even though I wasn't catching anything I liked the weather I was fishing in, so I persisted.  Finally towards the back of a pocket East of GOMH I got a 16" bass on an Outkast Swim Jig with Swim Shad.  I also had a 17" jump me off at the boat on Maxx and a fish of similar size missed the Horny Toad; Couldn't get that sucker to hit anything else.
 I then moved into Channel Inn Bay and had a 15.75" bass annihilate the Horny Toad on my very first cast.  I quickly caught 3 more on the Toad and got the one on the Hack Jig/Craw Fatty combo.  I missed a couple off hits on the Hack Jig and eventually had the Craw Fatty get pulled off.  A fish that I thought was a bass missed the Horny Toad in a clump of rice.  I threw back with Max Maxx the fish bit and I promptly got bit off.  On my way out I had a small pike take a shot at the Whopper Plopper.  When I got back to the lake place there was a pontoon at our dock who's motor had quit.  Sherman was almost ready to leave to tow the people back, so I didn't have too.
Best 6 Bass
7 Bass
3 Pike

No comments: