Monday, August 28, 2017

Mostly Slow, But Productive Long Day

4.12lb/18.5" Bobby's Perfect
7:00AM-3:00PM 3 Loon Flat, Green Cabin Bay, Chuck's Point, NW Bay & Juice
Conditions: 58-72℉, Foggy Cloudy eventually turning Sunny by about Noon, Wind NW to NE, Water levels high and rising.
Water Temp:64-68℉
Foggy this morning
I was in no hurry to get out this morning as the 7AM start time indicates.  I started at West Point and missed one bite.  I diverted to give 3 Loon Flat a try with the Whopper Plopper where baitfish were flopping around.  I got up close to shore and got a 15.25" bass on the Plopper in between some docks right up by shore.
16.75" Whopper Plopper 130 (Rat Ta Tat)
I got the 16.75" on the very next cast and thought I might be on to something.  I wasn't.  Other than a couple hits by some pike I didn't get another bass and stayed with that Plopper far to long.  I worked my way all the way across F Flat.  The sun started poking through the clouds  when I finally gave up and headed West to Green Cabin Bay.
18.5" Bobby's Perfect
It was shockingly dead in Green Cabin Bay; I did get the one big one there that was built like a linebacker. I missed a couple of hits as well on the Spro Sprinker knock off, but that was about it.  I had the tail get bit off on my yellow Spro Sprinker knock off, so I put on a real Teckel Tail;  Over towards Chuck's point I had the Teckel Tail get bit off without even having caught a fish.  That Teckel Tail does make the most Whopper Plopper like sound of all the tails I have tried.  I will save my 3 remaining tails for tournament day.  I then put the Helicopter Lure on the back of the Spro.  I missed the first fish that blew up on it in the reeds on Chuck's Point.  A little farther down I had a big fish boil behind it.  I threw back with the craw tube and got a 12.5" bass.  Definitely not the fish that boiled on me.  I went back to throwing the Spro and BAM!
6.25lb/29.5" Helicoper Spro Sprinker


For such a big and healthy fish it sure didn't have a lot of fight to it.  It got caught up in a clump of northern milfoil and pretty much gave up.  I worked Chuck's Point pretty good coming up empty.  I worked my way into the NW Bay.  It was patently apparent by now the fish were not aggressive, but I persisted throwing that Helicopter concoction.  I had a good bass grab the Helicopter, but not get the frog right in front of me.  I threw back with the craw tube and missed it the first to times and finally connected with the 16" bass the third time.

I started throwing the white Spro Sprinker knock off with pink tail and had that get bit off pretty quick.  I switched the Helicopter Lure to the white SSKO and put an eBay Teckel knock off tail on the back of the yellow one.  I missed a really good bass in the juice on that.  Over in the rice I got a 15.5" bass on the Bobby's Perfect.  As I made my way out I got a 16" bass on the yellow SSKO in the reeds.
15.71lbs for my 6 Best
7 Bass
4 Pike
  
  

No comments: