Sunday, August 13, 2017

Frustrating Trip From Start To Finish

13.9" Gunfish 117 (bluegill)
6:15-8:45PM Pad Point, Reeds Across the Way, F Flat
Conditions: 64℉, Cloudy some light Rain, East Wind
Water Temp: 70℉

I was pretty worn out from the tournament yesterday.  I didn't go fishing with Todd in the morning.  He caught a 19 incher.  Coming up on 6PM it looked like some significant rain was heading for the area.  I wanted to get the rain out of the boat before the rain hit and fish at the GOMH if it wasn't raining by the time I was done.  On the way there I decided if the battery was in the boat I would take the boat out instead.  The battery was in the boat and there was barely any water in it.

I took off for pad point and a gust of wind blew off my Cabela's Cap.  Just fricken great.  I quickly turned around and pulled it out of the water.  At pad point they didn't want the Plopper or Gunfish 117.  I missed a hit in the pads on Maxx and had a pike bite off the red shad craw tube and steal the tungsten sinker that I stupidly didn't take off.

It looked like the rain was quickly approaching, but I decided to head to the reed split across the way.  I got a dink bass of a dock as I was telling the cabin owner about my trip so far.  He thought they should really be snapping and I totally agreed.  I didn't get anything on the South reeds NE corner.  It looked now as if the rain was going to go to the South and North of me so I kept fishing.

It started to sprinkle lightly.  I made a cast with the Plopper and broke the line at the spool, but I only lost about 15 feet of line.  My frustration level was pretty high at this point with my poor day fishing yesterday and the fish not going on topwater today like I thought they should.  I did have one fish hit Maxx in the reeds and not get it.  It didn't come back for seconds.  I got out on F Flat and it was clear to me they weren't wanting the Plopper, so I switched to the Gunfish 117.  I was just about ready to head in, so I could fish the GOMH from shore when I got the fish in the picture.  I then caught a small pike and 12.9" bass.  It was getting dark and I had a pike steal the Gunfish.  It never resurfaced at least as far as I could see.  I looked for a while then packed up and left.

3 Bass
1 Pike

No comments: