Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Good Morning, OK Evening at the Jetty

3.17lb/24" Rage Swimmer (Ghost Shad)

24" Raileye

20.5" Rage Swimmer

Caught the same fish later in the day
All fish were caught in the first hour
6:00-8:00AM Harbor Mouth, CSR and North Corner Eddy's Jetty
41℉, Cloudy some light rain, Wave action but no wind
It rained during the overnight hours.  I was awake and it was warm so I thought I'd give the Jetty a try even though my morning trips have been pretty lackluster.  This trip didn't disappoint.  There was still wave action even though it was pretty much calm.  Just like last night, they were on the Rage Swimmer; That is what I caught all 6 fish on.  Unlike last night, I caught fish at the Harbor Mouth.  They were done biting by 7AM.  I caught the fish that I would catch tonight first fish at the Harbor Mouth.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.79lbs/22" Jerk Shad (Tomato)

Same fish as in the morning
Lost a very good fish trying to bring it over the two center big rocks
6:30-10:00PM All my spots produced fish tonight.
41℉, Partly Cloudy, No wind to speak of.

When I arrived at the Jetty tonight there was guy rigging up at his car just to the North of my parking spot.  I was thankful to see he went to the North Jetty.  I remarked as he went by that I expected it might be slow tonight because of the calm win.  Fortunately, the action was consistent and made for a good night.  I hooked into the first fish (17.75) of the night on the Ghost Shad Jerk Shad within my first 5 casts off of the North Corner Standing Rock. The other guy caught a fish about 5 minutes later.  There was a boat fishing about two cast lengths out front of the North Jetty.  I was fishing at the Center Standing Rock when a big center console boat came in hot passing the boat to the North then swerving quickly back south right into the north harbor while coming off plane.  I was just thinking maybe that maneuver might get the fish moving and active when I caught my second fish, another 17-incher on the same Jerk Shad as the first fish.  About 10 minutes later the other guy stopped by to compare notes as he left.  He had gotten two 20 plus inch fish and was surprised to hear both of mine were only 17-inchers.

My next three fish (20.5,17.5,20) were all on the Rage Swimmer.  The 17.5" was the same fish with cancer that I caught this morning, but this time I got it at the NC Standing Rock.  My last 5 bites (18.7,19,?,20.7,22) of the night all came on the Tomato Jerk Shad.  I was fishing off of the Center Standing Rock with the Jerk Shad paused when a big fish just steamrolled it.  As I was pulling it over the two big guard rocks the fish pulled off and was gone.  I didn't get a real good look at it, but I would say it was probably over 26-inches and may have been my biggest Jetty fish ever.  I should have been more careful with it.  Lesson learned the hard way. Oh well, no use crying over a fish that I'm not sure how big it was.  I think I'm going to try and move one of those guard rocks to make a spot for landing fish.
19.81lbs for the evening trip
16 Eyes for the day.

No comments: