Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Eddy's Calm Night


6:30-10:00PM North Corner and the middle of North Jetty
40-31℉, Clear, Calm
26" Jerk Shad

4.89lbs/26" Jerk Shad (Crackle)
5.07lbs/25.5" Jerk Shad
3.81lbs/22" Jerk Shad
I went to Subway to pick up a couple of sandwiches and then headed to Eddy's.  Travis Frank was pulling out the Due North Rig when I arrived.  I didn't talk with him as I was more interested in eating my sub than talking.  Apparently, he caught his personal best smallmouth.  There were several boats visible on the horizon and two empty trailers their at Eddy's.  There was no wind which was a bit of a disappointment, but it was what was on the forecast so it was what it was.  I started out throwing a smaller Speed Shad on a football swing head for about half an hour before I broke it off, bummer.  Then I went to throwing the big Speed Shad per usual.  At about 7:15PM I was on the standing rock in the middle of the North Jetty when I thought maybe I had a bite.  A couple of casts later I had two eyeballs follow me in.  The first sign of life.  I then went to the harbor mouth and there was a 20 or so inch eye tucked right in on the rocks.  That fish stayed there the whole night and barely paid any attention to what I threw at it.
3.83lbs/23.5"
At 7:30 or so I finally switched to the Jerk Shad.  I went to the North Corner Standing Rock and got bit on about my fourth cast.  Yeah, no skunk.  I didn't get any more bites in the North Coner so I went to the Standing Rock where I got the follows.  I pretty quickly caught 3 eye's (19,22,22) and lost one.  Then I didn't get a bite for about an hour and 20 minutes.  I just kept throwing the Jerk Shad.  Finally, the heaviest one of the night nailed me on a long pause at the middle of the Jetty.  At about 9:40 I got the last bite of the evening at the North Corner Standing Rock.  It was the 26-incher and it was foul hooked at the pectoral fins.  The way it fought I thought it was going to be bigger than it was.  Can't say I was too disappointed.  6 fish isn't bad on a calm night without a lot of fish moving around.
23.14lbs Not bad for only 6 fish
6 Eye's
3 Follows 

No comments: