Friday, July 03, 2015

Better Morning at the GOMH Out of the Slop Slip

14.5" Horny Toad
5:30-10:30AM
Conditions:  Hazy Sun and Cloudy for a bit when they bit best, moderate wind out of the SW,  Temps from 52-74 degrees.  The water level is more than half way to the low point this Spring.

The plan was the same as yesterday.  Get what I could from shore, then head out in the Slop Slip.  A wrench was thrown in the plan when somebody showed up and went to the NE side while I was unloading the boat.  I did try the SW side and NW side, and didn't get a thing.  That took me about 15 minutes total.

My first hit was on a black and yellow Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog that didn't hook up.  I followed up with a Fluke and got a bite, but I missed it.  I noticed the guy on shore walking a jumpin' bullhead to his car.  Strange because he had a bucket to put it in.  Maybe he was going to measure it.  I didn't pay attention to what he was doing.  Shortly after that I got the fish in the first picture on a yellow Horny Toad.

The next fish was one that exposed itself by trying to hit Ish's Poppin' Phattie.  It was a 12" jumper that I got on the bubblegum Zoom Super Fluke.  I think the next fish was this one.
24.5" Horny Toad
The fish hit about 10 feet out and nearly ripped the rod out of my hand.  It was a vicious hit.  A couple of minutes later I had a fish miss the Horny Toad as I was pulling it over some standing rice at the beginning of a long cast.  I cast right back and this fish smoked it.
15" Horny Toad
I then missed several good bites and caught a couple 20" toothy's on the Horny Toad.  I also saw two smaller toothy's come out of the water missing hitting my lures.
The jumpin' bullheads wanted some yellow in it this morning
I caught my second to last jumper (15") on that Spro Bronzeye and my last jumper of the day (14.5) came on the black/yellow Ish's Poppin' Phattie.  The fish really shut off the last hour and a half.

I would say I got about the same amount of bites as yesterday while in the boat, I hooked and landed more of them today.


No comments: