Saturday, April 25, 2020

Two Trips, DD Was Back In the Evening

1st Jumper of 2020
Crawtube (White)




1st Toothy Bullhead of 2020
Crawtube (White)
5:50-7:30AM GOMH Bulldog
38-35℉, Sunny Fog, Calm

A bit of fog this morning thanks to the cool down.  Unfortunately, the camera just didn't capture the fog and pink clouds on the horizon well.  An eagle flew up on a tree on the SW point just as I was getting out of the car.  My old Canon was pretty good at that.  I missed a couple bites than finally connected with a couple jumpers and toothy's on the SW side.  I gave Bulldog a quick try, nothing.  I think I got minnows on the way home.
_______________________________________________________________________

18" Cubby/Minnow


5:40-11:00PM GOMH SE NE SW
50-67℉, PC, 2-7 NE

The plan was to see if the GOMH was open if not or nothing going on give Bulldog and Rock a try.  There was nobody on shore fishing, but there was a boat right off of the SW side.  I went down on the SE side, nothing.  I then went to the NE side.  The way the wind was blowing in told me this was my best bet for a bullhead or dogfish.  I missed a bite in the tube and out from the stairs about 15 feet.  Unfortunately, there weren't dogfish.  After about an hour of trying to reconnect with the bites and missing several times, I caught a jumper in the tube and a toothy that cut me off; Both fish came on a white craw tube.  I managed to get the tube and hook back as it was visible and in reach of my rod underwater on a rock.  There was quite a bit of boat traffic through the area.  I went back to the SW side at 8:30PM when the boat finally left.  I got a bite on the Cubby in the mud and the fish ran straight to the cattails about 10 feet down to the west.  I managed to pull her into a cut when her mouth was open and up on the top, but before I could reach her she dove down and to the left straight into a cattail clump.  I had to get down on my knees and was, fortunately, able to dig her out without falling in.  18" of jumpin' bullhead hooked in the roof of the mouth on 4/1 fireline.  I cut my right thumb with the Fireline.  About 8:45 Dave from last night showed up with his two buddies.  I lost a good silver when they were getting set up.  I got a 9" just before Lantern Man showed up around 10PM.  Lantern Man got a couple silvers and one of DD's buddies got a golden.  Dave didn't do a whole lot of talking tonight. They left at about 10:45.  I had enough at 11PM, it just wasn't happening.    

No comments: