Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Spent Election Night Rolling Eyeballs

5.59lbs/24.9" Jerk Shad (Tomato)

Same as above

4.89lbs/24.5 Jerk Shad (Tomato) Last fish of the night

21" (Tomato) 1st Fish of the Night

14" (Chart Shad) Smallest Eye of the Night
5:30-10:00PM NCSR, Harbor Mouth North and South Jetty
31-29℉, Cloudy with snow, 10mph WNW

I arrived at Eddy's a few minutes after the guy that beat me to the Jetty last week.  He was headed to the Harbor Mouth while I was putting my Ice Armor Stuff on.  Next thing I know he's reeling in a fish.  He caught fish on two out of his first 3 casts.  I got out and started fishing.  That wind was COLD.  It was out of the WNW not producing much in the way of wave action, but it made fishing the North Corner a pain because I couldn't use my body to shield my hands from the wind.  I caught my first fish (21") off the North Corner Standing Rock on the Tomato Jerk Shad. The NCSR sits on the lakeward/southern part of the corner so I was able to shield my hands there. I had a fish hook up then quickly get off on the Center Standing Rock. With the way the wind was, I thought maybe the South Jetty might be a better place to fish from.  I went to tell the guy what I caught and tell him where I was going.  He told me he was going to leave and showed me what he was fishing with, a deep diving Shadow Rap, which he reeled in very slowly.  Interesting,  I would never think to throw a bigger lipped bait for fear of losing it to the rocks.  Anyway, I got up on the Harbor Mouth Standing Rock and proceeded to immediately break off my Chartreuse Shad Jerk Shad when my cast suddenly stopped.  My line broke about 5 feet up from the lure.  Freezing guides or line was the most likely reason why my line stopped  Dang it, that was a fish catcher.  I went back and tied my back up Chartreuse Shad on.  I carry a back up of that color because I have lost quite a few of them to pike at the Grumpy Old Man Hole.  Anyway, I caught that little fish then headed to the car and drove over to the South Jetty.  I warmed up in the car for a while listening to election results on the Fox News Channel.

At the South Jetty, nothing was going off the South Corner, but there were fish at the South Harbor Mouth.  I caught 3 fish (19,?,19) on the Tomato and 4 fish (22.5,20,24.9,21) on the Chartreuse Shad.  I also had one fish hook up and get off fairly quickly.  The ? fish was at least 24-inches long that got off as I was pulling it up on the rocks.  I was able to touch the fish, but not grab it before it swam off;  I used the 22.5-inch fish twice on the scale to account for that caught but unweighed fish.  I did have to go back to the car once to war up.  I went back to the North Jetty to end the night.  I lost a big one at the CSR and caught that last big fish (24.5) at the Harbor Mouth on the Tomato.  This may be my last trip to Jetty as we are going into a deep freeze for at least a week.
    10 Eyes


No comments: