Tuesday, February 23, 2016

I Thought It Was Gonna Be A Crappie Fest

9" VMC Jig w/maggots
4:30-7:45PM
Conditions: Overcast, 35-32 degrees, wind out of the WNW

It probably would have been a crappie fest had I fished smarter.  My first 3 fish were crappies and 6 out of my first 10, but then I was mobbed by small sunfish.  I was fishing out were there weren't any fish yesterday near the sawdust holes.  I was content to catch sunfish for about half an hour until I caught 20 of them.  I moved North and got one crappie then nothing.  I then moved shallower and got some little sunfish there.  I was hoping maybe a bass would come through but that didn't happen.  I broke off the brown, orange, and glow VMC Tubby Jig on little sunny that got tangled in the transducer.  I put a smaller red glow VMC Tubby on and got a few small sunnies on that.  It was pretty dark before I went back to the sawdust holes.  I managed to get 4 smaller crappies and bullhead out there on the Glow Demon and a minnow.

Most were this size or smaller

Close to being a keeper, but not quite

Bullhead got on the scorecard again
33 Sunfish
11 Crappies
1 Perch
1 Bullhead

To catch more crappies I should have put a minnow down sooner and I should have stayed out and drilled holes out there.

No comments: