Friday, June 06, 2014

Two Trips Today

15.5" Yabbie on the Legened Xtreme
6-8AM and 5-7:30PM
Conditions- Foggy, cool but warming up fast
Conditions- Front approaching windy out of the NW.  It did rain a little, but mostly that stupid wind

The morning trip was mostly about my new St. Croix Legend Xtreme rod.  The fish just weren't there to get me to put the reel with Fireline on it.  The 15.5" and a snag were the rods first real tests and it passed.  I also 3 more small jumpers on the Yabbie, a dink on the Kelly J, and a small jumper and toothy on the Pure Poison.  I decided while putting my gear together for tomorrows tournament to keep the reel with the Gamma Line on it for tournament day.

Normally, I don't fish the day before a tournament let alone go out twice, but the evening conditions set up for a possible repeat of The Great GOMH Whackfest of 2009.   If there was any chance of that happening when the front blew through tonight I wasn't going to miss it.  I got out about 30 minutes later than I should have.  Peter and some of his buddies were fishing on the S side.  I took the NE side.  I got a small jumper right away on the "Black Phantom", but immediately after I got it in a boat came through and shut them down for a while.  I did pick up a couple of jumpers on the Yabbie, then got a couple of small one's to go on Frenzy Popper, but the wind picked up out of the NW and I couldn't cast where I needed to.  I sprinkled a little bit, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would. I ended up getting one descent jumper on the "White Phantom" and small one's on Ish's Phat Frog, and Luck-E-Strike RC Squarebill.  I also got a toothy on the RC and 1 on a KVD squarebill as well. I stopping fishing at 7:30PM, had a conversation with the "old timer" then left.
15.25" White Phantom after the Front had passed

No comments: