Thursday, June 05, 2014

Good Afternoon Poor Evening at the GOMH

Rainbow from the evening trip
12:30-2:30PM 8:00-9:20PM
Conditions- Windy with light to moderate rain
Conditions- Storm just passed, sun came out wind much lower but still out of the South

I took Jenny to the hospital in the morning and went to the Grumpy Old Man Hole after.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera because I got a 22" bowfin on the b/b Yabbie.  Other than that I pounded the small jumpin' bullheads on the Yabbie and Tonka Tackle gp Craw Tube;  I also got 3 toothy bullheads on those same baits.  I couldn't get the jumpers to come up for topwaters for anything.  I left because the rain was getting heavier.  Due to the wind I only fished on the Platte side.

When I arrived home I discovered that the new rod tip for the 6'8" St. Croix Legend Xtreme I recently won on Ebay had come as well as a box of Yabbies I won on Ebay as well.  I got the rod for a steal because it was listed with a very cheap Buy It Now price because of the rod tip issue and I happened to see the auction before anybody had a chance to bid on it.  Naturally I had to get out and give the new rod a try.  I didn't get out until 8PM because of thunderstorms.  My plan was to try 2 different reels on the rod; one with Gamma Co-Poly and one with Fireline.  I ended up only getting to use the Gamma line, because I chose the wrong side of the bridge.  When I arrived a thunderstorm had just passed and I was surprised to see a guy fishing on the S side.  No problem, I planned to fish on the N side anyway.  I quickly learned the fish weren't there for the most part.  Unfortunately by the time I discovered they weren't there the S side was covered up by other fishermen.  I managed to get 3 small jumpers on a Yabbie, Lucky Craft Kelly J, and the X-Rap Prop.  I missed two really good hits on the X-Rap.   They may have both been toothy's.  One was a fish that showed itself under the bridge and the other was a fish I'm all but certain was a toothy East of "the juice".  I'm not sure how I missed the one under the bridge, I was ready for the hit and the lure was gone when the fish swirled on it.  I set the hook and the lure came flying back at me.  The other one I didn't really set the hook because I'm 95% sure it was a toothy.  Here is my first fish on the new rod.
12.5" on da Yabbie
 When I left, some of the people fishing the South side had gotten a couple of golden bullheads and several small jumper.

No comments: