Monday, June 15, 2009

Tonight's Platte Lake Report: Nothing Special

Due to a trip into Brainerd I wasn't on the lake fishing until about 7:30PM. It was over cast with little wind. I elected to start my fishing on Loon Sex Point where I was going to fish last night but a boat was on my starting point, so I didn't go. The place I start is at the last dock before it turns to weeds as the point goes on to the East. From that dock on to the end of the point there is a mix of reeds, wild rice, and a few places with pads. From the dock to the end of the rice on the point is a distance of at least 60 to 70 yards.

I got this 1st 16" bass about 15 feet to the East of the dock in some shallow reeds and rice with pads in the vicinity on a watermelon red Zoom Horny Toad. A very good way to start the night. On my way East I saw several abandoned bass beds and I got a couple of minor strikes that didn't hook up. I was mostly throwing a white Cabela's Chuck-It frog, but decided with the overcast conditions a dark frog would be better so I switched to a black with chartreuse nose River2Sea Bully Wa. When I got to where the land ends I got a couple of strikes that I missed, then had this 16 incher just wolf down the Bully Wa as you can see.

I missed a few more hits in the weeds off the end of the point, a couple didn't really take the frog and I did a poor job of setting the hook on a couple. When I got to the end of the rice and pads on the point I started throwing the Horny Toad towards the scattered rice in the bay and I had a ferocious strike but somehow I didn't hook up. I think it was a big pike. I caught a 12" bass on the Horny Toad in the Rice.

It was coming up on 9PM and I decided to head out to the reed point that comes off the South end of the big island. I missed a weak bite and a solid bite that I should have caught off the tip of the reeds. I worked my way North towards the island and booted several good opportunities and I caught a 13" and 14" bass on the Horny Toad. It got to be that time and I headed in.

No comments: