Friday, June 05, 2009

Mille Lacs and GOMH Short

Today I went and picked up the Trophy's boat trailer from Prince's Marine where the bunks got fixed. I figured I would hit Mille Lacs on the way back home. I arrived at Eddy's after 5PM and the lot was almost completely filled with boat trailers. I wonder if there is a big walleye tournament going on this weekend? I was lucky to find a good place to park with my trailer and so I headed to the South Jetty. The wind was blowing in out of the NE at about 8 MPH so there was a pretty good chop coming in and casting distance would suffer. Still I managed a single 17.25 inch smallie on the Rapala Subwalk in the pictures.


I also snagged a little perch on a Frenzy jerkbait.

Conditions were not ideal and I noticed more boats launching and I didn't want to take somebody who paid to launches parking place, so I called it a day.

Around 7:30PM I headed out to the GOMH to try for some bullheads. I started on the NE side (Platte) and immediately tied into a couple of jumpin bullheads on a watermelon/chart Brovarney Swim Jig with watermelon Zoom Speed Craw trailer. I think I landed a 3rd jumper on my hot Mille Lacs smallmouth spinnerbait which is a 3/16oz white/chart Strike King spinnerbait with chart willow blades. I then switched to a pumpkin& pepper green Terminator Jig and brought in this 18 incher.
.
I got another smaller bullhead on the Terminator. Eventually I switched to the SE side and watched a nice golden bullhead get brought in by one of Grumpy Old Man Lee Anders grand kids. I got a few jumpin bullheads on the SE side, including a 12-13" on a Spro Rojas Popping Frog. I took the Popping Frog to the NE side and had a few swirls and caught a 14" bullhead and I think I also had a shot at a dogfish but didn't hook up. I got cold and left around 9PM. I landed a total of 9 jumpin bullheads.

No comments: