Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Eddy's Launch with Dad

Tonight Dad and I went on our first launch trip of the year out of Eddy's Resort on the West side of Mille Lacs Lake. This time we got to fish out of the Flagship which is Eddy's biggest boat. On the night all 5 launches were in operation.

The day had been hot with thunderstorms that passed to the north cooling things down. By the time we were out at 6PM it was partly cloudy and in the mid 80's with a light South breeze. The Launch headed South of Rocky Reef in about 22 feet of water. A lady in the back of the boat with us caught a little walleye immediately. I was the first between Dad and I to get on the board with a nice jumbo perch that I gave away to a lady who wanted it. This woman's name was Oksana and she is a Russian immigrant who was out fishing with her son. Dad and I talked with her a lot and learned she was a massage therapist which will come into play a little later.

Dad got on the board with a little walleye.
The picture makes the fish look much bigger than it actually was. It was too small to keep dispite Oksana's protests. She was of the opinion that no fish was to small because she is used to catching and keeping little bullheads down in extreme Southern Minnesota where she lives.

The boat was catching lots of little fish at the 1st stop, so we moved around 8PM when a little thunderstorm came up and sprinkled and rumbled a little. The storm wasn't nearly enough to force us off the water. Right away in the new location a guy in the front of the boat caught a 25 inch protected slot fish. Pretty soon a few keepers and more overs were comming aboard. My bobber went down and I hooked into this 17 inch keeper.
I gave the fish to Oksana and she was so grateful she gave me a 20 minute back rub. By the end of the night Dad got a back rub too. Dad caught another small walleye and I caught a small perch. Oksana caught a couple of little walleyes that went back and her son missed several bites. A lot of fish were caught on the launch and I think there were around 9 keeper walleyes and 6 overs and maybe close to 2 dozen cigars and a handful of perch. It was a fun time.

No comments: