Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tonight's Platte Lake Report: Docks, Maidencane, North

Today was a beautiful day, it was in the mid 70's, sunny, and little wind in the evening. I started fishing around a quarter to 5PM. With the weather being what it was I figured docks might be good, so the plan was to start by hitting a few select docks just across the bay from our lake place.

Last year I bought some Strike King 3X Z Too's which are basically a "super plastic" Super Fluke but I never tried them out, well tonight was going to be their night. One problem, the one I put on wouldn't sink with a regular Gamagatsu 4/0 Wide Gap hook. Not happy I immediately switched to a "funky chicken" Zoom Super Fluke (bubblegum top & chartreuse belly, with a red tail). I didn't catch anything on the first couple of docks, but I was seeing sunfish activity.
I think I got this first bass (14") casting out to a couple of isolated lily pads. On the next dock down I pulled 4 bass and missed one from under a boat lift and dock. As I worked my way down the shore I seemed to have more luck in the pads and weeds out away from the docks, but at the 2nd to last dock I fished I pulled a nice 15.75" out from under a jet ski lift. I continued down the shore fishing the weeds pads and one last dock, getting a few in the 11-14" range. Also during this whole time I missed a few good bites. As I was coming to the end of the stretch of water I was going to fish there is a little group of isolated pads. I pulled 3 bass off those pads and missed a couple of other bites.

I think it was now after 7PM and it was decision time, where to head next? I was going to hit up the point at Loon Sex bay but there was a boat where I wanted to start so I audibled to go across from the Platte Lake Public access where there is maidencane, wild rice, pads, reeds, and cattails. I started out at the end of the West side of the maidencane and worked my way towards shore where the cattails are. I was using a watermelon red Zoom Horny Toad to cover water. I didn't contact fish right away and the first bite stole the buzz legs from the Toad. My first bass was a solid 15+ that smoked it. Unfortunately that was it for the quality I would catch. As I worked my way towards shore I got bass on the Horny Toad and a white/Chart Nose River2Sea Bully Wa slop frog. Unfortunately this area was holding pike and I lost Horny Toad buzz legs a couple of times and the Bully Wa frog went bye bye as well but I did boat some bass. I replaced the Bully Wa with a white Cabela's brand Chuck-It frog and when they named it the Chuck-It they weren't kidding, you can throw it a mile.

Around 8:40PM it was decision time again and I elected to head to the North end of the lake. As I was working my way out of the reeds I got a solid 24" pike on the Horny Toad. Off to the North End where I caught the biggest bass I've gotten out of Platte Lake. The area is the tip of a point where maidencane and reeds with some rice jut out into the lake. The better water tends to be when you get closer to shore after the maidencane ends. I missed the first couple of strikes and lost the buzz on a Horny Toad. I proceeded to miss several opportunities on the Toad and Chuck-It frog, but I did land about 4 bass including the nights best at 17."

(Here is the 17" with Chuck-It) It's amazing how after catching so many 11-14" fish that a 17" seems like a 19".

It was getting dark and the mosquito's started to come out so I called it a night around 9:30PM or so. My official count was 25 bass though I might have caught a few more than that and I think I also caught 4 pike.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is platte lake?

Basspastor said...

Platte Lake is in Central Minnesota about 15 miles West as the crow flies from the SW end of Mille Lacs Lake.

Kris said...

thanks for info

there is a sullian lake in wright county but i didnt think that was the one you were referring to...

great blog i really enjoy it