Thursday, July 18, 2019

Thunderstorm, Shower Blows, and Needles

4.16lbs/19" Craw Tube (Junebug)




7:00-10:00AM SPSI, Channel Inn Bay
76-68℉, Thunderstorm to partly cloudy, 2-4mph
WT: 76℉

The forecast I looked at just after midnight said things would be partly cloudy to cloudy no mention of rain or thunderstorms.  I didn't re-look at the forecast before I left.  I arrived just after 5AM and was off by 5:30AM.  As I headed West I thought the cloud cover looked suspiciously like rain.  Before I got to SPSI it did start sprinkling.  I stopped the boat took out the iPhone to take a picture and there was a flash with an immediate crack of thunder from the direction I just came.  I took a couple of pictures then got back on the motor to the nearest dock.  I sheltered under a couple of porches.  I wasn't really thinking straight thanks to the lightening.  I left my note pad exposed to the rain and tackle bags in the boat.  Toward the end of the storm when the rain got heavier I went and retrieved that stuff.  I didn't get fishing until 7:00AM. 

I went back to the South Point Small Island and got three small bass, two of which were over 12-inches.  On the last cast before I was going to leave I caught a skinny 18-incher that didn't quite weigh 3lbs.  I forgot to take a picture after I weighed it.  Shortly after that, I headed to rice point in Channel Inn Bay.  I decided to try a craw tube out from the rice before getting to frogging.  I was listening to Perfect Day by EMFwhen two loons cruised by the boat.  I was just thinking I was looking for a needle in a haystack when the big girl struck.

I ended up in the calm sunny conditions looking at the weed makeup in Channel Inn Bay as much as fishing.  I ended up missing something big that bit on the crawtube.   It was either a bass or a dogfish.  I missed a couple of bites in the pads on the crawtube and caught one dink.  As got a dink out of the rice on Big Sexy.   Had the craw tube and had an Outkast RT Jig get bit off.  It was sunny and I didn't want to put sunscreen on so I headed in at 10AM.   


No comments: