Friday, April 02, 2010

Bullheads

Patti woke me up about 6:15 this morning and when I took the dogs out I was surprised by how warm it was, about 60 degrees. I got it in my mind that with these warm temps maybe some bullheads moved in at the Grumpy Old Man Hole.

I arrived at the GOMH around 7:30AM and there was a guy fishing the SE side with minnows, so I took up the SW side. He said he caught 3 nice sized largemouth but nothing else. About 20 minutes after I arrived he caught about a 18 inch jumpin bullhead.

I ended up switching lures to a 2" Storm Wildeye Swim Shad because I saw some baitfish activity and it got absolutely choked by a jumpin bullhead. Look at how far down in the mouth he was hooked.

This fish was on the skinny side but went all of 18 inches.

A little while later I had another hit and another bullhead was tugging away. As you can see this one was hooked right in the lips.

This fish went 17" but was a much healthier fish and probably outweighed bullhead #1

The guy had left by the time I caught my fish and there was a long lull, so I headed over to take casts on the SE side. I was over there for quite a while, but eventually did catch about a 13" jumpin bullhead.

Eventually I gave the NE side a try then call it quits about 10:15AM.

No comments: