Sunday, September 06, 2020

Windy, But Good Evening Trip

3.61lbs/18.25" Bobby's Perfect (Sparrow)

3.76lbs/18" Sparrow

4:45-8:10PM Access Across, Double Cane to Cookie Jar
67-74℉, Mostly Cloudy, 8-25mph NW
66℉ Low

I started in the reeds off the point across from the access. I missed the first bite right next to a really small cane patch. I worked my way west getting a pike when I got to the cattails. Had something knock my frog out of the water casting to the fisherman's dock. Didn't go for any follow-ups. As I came around the cattail corner I was expecting a bite and I got one.  13.5" bass on the Sparrow. Once I got the boat past the corner there was a lot more wind in my face. I had a Platte Lake Special hit the Sparrow in the rice/pads. I got too good of a hook set and rolled the fish over the top of the pads about 6-feet creating slack in the line. The fish used the break from the pressure to bury itself in the pads and get off.   The wind was such that I decided anchoring was my best policy.  That quickly paid off with an 18-incher out of a clearing and a 15 in the rice/pads. I got a pike in a clearing. The rice is really thinning out and looks really fishy. I had a pike steal the Sparrow. I then had a Platte Lake Special hook up jump into some thick weeds and break off a couple minutes later. Don't know what that's all about. I got hung up last night and broke off about 10-feet up the line. I got the Sparrow back that time.  The fish jumped one time so I went to the area but didn't find the Sparrow. I got another pike. Then had a Platte Lake Special jump and get off at the boat. I was working my way toward the tip of the Cane when I got the second 18-incher. By the time I got out of the slop, it was 7:35PM. I decided to head to Double Cane to end the night. Had one pike swirl and that was it.  It was really blowing, thank goodness the wind was at my back.

9 Bass
6 Pike

No comments: