Monday, July 30, 2018

Tough Morning, Tougher Night at the Melon Patch

5:30-6:15 GOMH
7:00-NOON Melon Patch, Access Docks West of Pads
Conditions: 54-78℉, Sunny with fog in the morning, Calm
Water Temp: 75℉

I started off the day at the Grumpy Old Man Hole.  I got one small jumper on the NE side.  He hit the Shower Blows 105 about 7 times before I finally got him.  I had a toothy miss the Shower Blows on the SW side.  This what I saw when I came up to leave.
There was almost no fog on the East side of the lake.

Once I got to the West side of the Big Island I was in the soup.  As I got over toward the Access the shoreline became visible and I got to the Melon Patch no problem.
The fog burned off fast after I arrived
I tried to expand the productive water to the South and there was lots of baitfish activity, but nothing to indicate any bass.  I got to where I started last night and saw a dogfish in a hole in the weeds.  When I flipped a jig at it, it spooked.
16.5" Bobby's Perfect (Sparrow SF)
Basically, I caught a fish in the same spot as last night to start things off.  It may have been the same fish.  I was sitting in the middle of the Melon Patch not catching anything when I remembered catching some fish in the same looking stuff on a Horny Toad in a Snatchers Tournament on Leech Lake a few years back.
16.25" Horny Toad (Pumpkin)
About 5 casts in that guy wrecked my Toad.  I caught two other bass on the Toad and a good sized green sided toad destroyer.  At 11AM I left the Melon Patch to go try some docks.  I got a couple of 13-inchers off of the tree at the first dock on the Terminator Jig with Chigger Craw trailer.  The second bass did the Chigger Craw in so I switched to a black red fleck Craw Fatty.  I got a total dink near shore off of a boat lift and two 12-inchers off the second to last boat lift I fished.  It was now noon and I had been on the water long enough.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14.25" Bobby's Perfect (Sparrow)
7:15-9:15PM Melon Patch
Conditions: 78-70℉, Mostly Sunny, Calm-6MPH NW Wind
Water Temp: 78℉
First fish caught well after 8PM
Steve was up for some fishing tonight, so scrapped my plan to hit "The Dock" and went straight to the Melon Patch.  Once again I started to the South.  I missed a small fish right away.  I then had a good fish "dog me" fairly close to the boat.  That means it waked and hit my frog without getting it.  I'm not sure if it was a dogfish or not.  I tried to get the fish to hit a jig and Texas Rigged Chigger Craw, but it wasn't interested.  There wasn't a whole lot going on to the South, so at 8 beelined for the area where I caught fish last night.  Steve got the dink to get the skunk out of the boat.  He caught the 14-incher about 10 minutes later.  I had a pike "dog me" then steal my jig and had another fish dog me in close to the boat.  What a disappointing trip.  There were fish there, they just didn't want topwater tonight.
10.95lbs for my Best 6 Bass of the Day



No comments: