Saturday, July 28, 2018

Tough Morning, Little Better Evening

Making a big fish look like just a good fish, oops
Not a great day for my photo's
5:30-10:30AM Jenny's Reeds, Reeds Across from Chuck's, Access Across, Access Docks
Conditions: 49-73℉, Sunny, Calm-4MPH NW
Water Temp: 72℉
Another not so great photo
So started at Jenny's reeds, nothing.  I then moved to the reeds beyond Chuck's Point.  There was some surface activity just not on anything I threw, so I headed to the cane across from the public access.  Finally, I had a hit but it buried me in the cane and got off.  Don't know if it was a pike or a bass.
21" Chigger Craw (Watermelon Candy)
I figured I better take a picture with a fish after I finally caught one nearly two hours in.  A fish busted something in the pads shortly after I released the fish.  I cast to the spot with the black/red Terminator a fish took it but it was very pike like so I didn't set the hook.  Fish continued to get blown up over the flat, so I went and tried that for a while, nothing.  I then went into the area where they were last night.  I tried frogs, swim jigs, and punching, getting nothing.  I worked my way across the flat to the pads in the middle of the bay, nothing there.  It was now about 9:45AM.  I headed across to the South shoreline docks. BOOM!
3.76lbs/18" Terminator Jig/Fighting Frog
Got this stud on the second dock.  I also caught a dink and missed a bite.  I worked my way back to the access missing a few hits along the way.  When I got to the access I called it a day.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.36lbs/19.25" Terminator Frog (Black/Red)
7:00-9:30PM Docks Across, Double Cane Point
Conditions: 74-67℉, Partly Cloudy after small thunderstorms had come through, Calm-4MPH NW
Water Temp: 75℉

After the success on docks in the morning I thought I would go and see if anything was up at "The Dock" across the bay.  I stopped at the dock to the west.  I had what I think was a pike swirl as I brought my jig up through the pads.  The pads looked so inviting that I put the jig down and made a few casts with the black/red Terminator.  A big fish went for it and missed.  I let the frog sit there, but it didn't come back for it.  As I was reeling the frog in to make another cast a fish swirled right at the boat. I figured it was a pike that had just followed the frog all the way back to the boat.  I had another fish give a half-hearted attempt at the frog more towards shore.  I cast back to the original blowup spot and the big girl jacked me up.  I thought, not bad for 15 minutes of fishing after the terrible morning.  I then got an 11.5 dink on the Terminator Frog.  I went back to give "The Dock" a try and had my jig get bit off.  I did catch an 11.5" dink on a watermelon candy Crazy Legs Chigger Craw.  I worked East fishing the pads, but didn't get a hit.
3.37lbs/17.75" Terminator Frog (Black/Red)
Now that's how you make a big fish look big 
Next, I headed to Double Cane Point starting where the rice meets the reeds/pads.  I got a 14.25" bass on about my third cast. That was it until I got the 17.75" after the sun had set.  I had committed to die in the shallow slop around Double Cane, thankfully I got that fish.  As it was getting dark, I thought what the heck I'll run across to Big Bass Point.  Nothing there and the skeeters showed up eventually.
14.81lbs for my Best 6 for the day
What a disappointing haul for as much time on the water today with the 3 kickers.

No comments: