Wednesday, June 14, 2023

I Pretty Much Sucked Tonight

 

Gotcha Sucka!

The fish after the phone call

Taken while contemplating sucking

2.68lbs Terminator Double Buzzer/ToadZ (Wht/Hot Snakes)

Three for 6.15lbs is a heck of a lot better than two for 3.46

Later start than I was hoping for, but my first wake-up today didn't take, and after being up for an hour went back to bed. I woke up at 5 PM. I made the rents some pizza and had some myself. Man, it was smoky out there to start. I think the guys out fishing tonight were pre-fishing rather than it being a league. There was no mad dash to exits around 9:30. I started at NW INT Rice PT, but it was lifeless. So I headed to NE INT and missed my first bite because I reached down for the troller. I still got a wicked hookset, but the fish was moving towards me and probably a pike by the speed it exited the rice; the frog just popped free. I think the next two bites buried me in the reeds. Caught a pike. And a fish gave away its position. I moved within casting range, and Bam. I was lifting the PLS into the boat, and it came off about a foot out of the water. I missed three or four more bites toward the cattails. A lot of poor luck with fish hitting while I was moving or the frog was in a bad position upon landing. I headed East. I had a few fish nips and did not get the frog. Not sure if they were sunfish, doggy's, or bass. Did have a bowfin nip and follow all the way to the boat. Signs of life stopped, so I cruised through the reeds and found SIL where I expected. I missed 3 or 4 more bites; ridiculous. Sat for a couple of minutes and took stock. I got my first bass in the boat soon afterward. Missed another opportunity on a high percentage spot. The wave runner guy started doing his thing, making me contemplate moving. Then Snatcher Al called, and the WR Guy went South. Toward the end of the call, a fish gave away its position. We ended the call, and I caught the fish. I think I missed one more than booked it out toward Steve's Fall Juice, nothing going on. I decided to end the night by throwing a double buzzer in the reeds and was rewarded with a Platte Lake Special that was the best fish of the night. I ended before I got back to the intersection. Slowed down at the bridge. I got up to about 16mph in Platte, then lost power. Unlike previous occasions was unable to get her back up and going. I ended up limping home at about six mph. When I went to take the troller off, I couldn't get the thingamabob to loosen at first. It took me about 10 minutes to get it free. I will just have to see if the motor runs better in the morning; not especially concerned right now.


No comments: