Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Spur of the Moment to Mille Lacs, Got Skunked

Fished Out Front of Eddy's
4:30PM-12:00PM Mille Lacs in front of Eddy's
28-22℉, Partly to mostly cloudy, 0-5mph SSE

It got warmer than forecast and wind was supposed to be on the light side, so I decided to go to Mille Lacs.  Unfortunately, all I had was crappie minnows.  When I arrived at Eddy's there was a guy set up just to the North where I wanted to go.  I decided to go about 100 yards to South of where he was.  I drilled holes from 10' to 14' feet.  I marked a fish pretty quickly, but it didn't hit the small Rippin Rap.  Might have been a perch.  I went to do some hole hopping with the Rippen Rap.  I put the transducer down but it didn't totally clear the hole; The Rippin Rap got caught on the ice and came off the No-Knot Clip and created a royal mess that I had to go back in the house to deal with.  What a clown show.  Finally, got things straightened out and it was dark.  Heard the guy in the other house whooping it up.  Sounded like he got a very big fish.  He left at about 6PM.  I started working that way fishing in 8' to 10' of water.  I went to drill a new hole and when I got back a fish was eyeing the Rippin Rap.  I shook it once and it spooked.  3 or 4 holes later I was just getting up to drill another hole when a fish moved in.  It took a good long look at the Rippin Rap then spooked.  I drilled another hole and put a crappie minnow down.  A fish came in again briefly.  About 5 minutes later the bobber went down, but I boogered the hookset.  That was at about 9:30PM. I stayed till midnight and didn't see another fish.  I didn't do much moving after I missed the fish hoping the fish would swim to me.  The wrong call obviously.

I was maybe a bit late on going to using minimal light.  I didn't do a good job of switching depths.  I didn't have a plan of attack. 

No comments: