Monday, December 17, 2018

I'm Starting To Figure Things Out at Mille Lacs


25.5" Small Sucker Minnow
20" Sucker Minnow

19" Sucker Minnow


3:30-8:00PM Mille Lacs in front of Eddy's
28-25℉, Clear, 2-4mph SE

I went and drilled holes 17' to 21' feet and set up in the 21' holes.  Put what I thought was my last sucker down and jigged in the hole with the camera.   Not much was going on just a couple of small perch swimming around.  At about 4:05PM I took the Rippin Rap and a spoon to check for activity in my other sets of holes.  Marked something in both sets, but couldn't get a bite.  The sun was about to set, so I went back to the Fish Trap.  I put down the Rippin Rap and a walleye came in immediately.  The sucker minnow went nuts and I watched the walleye swim up and engulf it.  Got a good hookset and soon the walleye was up the hole.  The sucker was still alive so I put it back down.  Had a similarly sized walleye come in and hit the Swedish Pimple I was jigging.  Didn't quite set the hook hard enough and it got off about halfway up.  It was getting too dark for the camera so I pulled it up.  I put down the blue/chrome Rippin Rap and missed a bite. The bobber went down shortly after that and I caught the 19-incher.  The sucker minnow came off and disappeared down the hole.  I was amazed to see there one really small sucker minnow left, so I put it down the hole.  The fish moved on.  I moved shallower twice briefly marking one fish.  I drilled a set of holes in 15.5" of water and set up in those holes. A fish came into the Rippin Rap and drilled the mini sucker minnow. Got a good hookset and brought the 25.5" through the hole.  I was feeling a whole lot better about myself after landing that fish.  There was no sign of the little sucker, so I put on a fathead.  Nothing was going on so I went and drilled another set of holes.  I came back and called something in on the Rippin Rap.  It took the fathead.  It looked like an 18"/19" and came off in the hole.  I marked one more small fish that briefly came up off the bottom.  I bailed out in time to hit Subway before they closed.

Not a bad trip considering how I have been catching them so poorly.

No comments: