Friday, December 22, 2017

Slow Night On Bulldog

Forgot the camera, so a Google Images stock photo
4:45-8:30PM Bulldog
Conditions: 18℉, Cloudy some flurries, Light W wind
Depth: 30'

The guy who plowed the Holy Family lot didn't do us ice fishermen any favors by plowing to the East rather than North/South.  Plowing East means the snow is piled up in front of the access.  Hopefully, someone who wants to drive on the lake will change that situation.  I arrived just before a Dad and his kid.  I went to my holes from last night then did two more set to the South.  The Dad set up to the North East of there.  There was nothing going on in those holes, so I ended up in the farthest South holes.  Fish didn't bother with the minnow but occasionally would take the VMC Fly/maggots.  About 5:30 some guys came out and set up just to the North of my farthest North set of holes.  The action was slow so I went out and drilled some holes.  I didn't find anything.  I ended back at the holes I caught fish out of.  Because I didn't whack the ice off the bottom of my heater and ended up tipping it into the bobber hole, which broke my line above the bobber stop.  While reaching over to pull out the heater I also managed to break the line on the VMC Fly/maggots rod.  Then there was the smell of the burning mono.  What a cluster.  At least I didn't lose any lures.  I put the bobber in the minnow bucket and went about getting the VMC Fly re-rigged.  I was interrupted by the bobber hitting the minnow bucket signaling a fish had taken my minnow.   I missed the fish, so I let the minnow go back down.  About a minute later another crappie took the minnow.  I caught it this time.  That was the 3rd minnow fish at that point.  I was unable to thread the line through the Wing-It bobber, so went to a foam bobber.  I would occasionally get a fish, but it was slow.  I gave up at 8:30PM.

11 VMC Fly/maggots
9 Glow Demon/minnow

20 Crappies
-----------------------------------------------------------
110 Crappies caught so far this ice season
 

No comments: