Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Horny Toad Goes BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! SWOOSH!

16" on the Horny Toad
5:45-7:45AM
Conditions- Cloudy, Sunny, Cloudy a breeze out of the S SW

I was first person at the GOMH so I took the NE shore.  All I got was one 11" j.b. on a b/b craw tube.

Next I headed to the Culvert and went right to "the juice", nothing.  I was just about to leave when I made one last cast way upstream aided by the wind and BAM! Fish on! 16 incher.  I made another cast way upstream aided by the wind. BAM! Fish on! 14.5 incher.  That process repeated itself 3 more times with each fish getting successively smaller ending on a 12 incher who just barely took it.  I made a couple more casts to the juice, nothing.
The Stanley 4/0 Double Take Frog Hook is the real deal for Zoom Horny Toads.  You don't even have to have the hooks firmly secured by plastic.  Both sides were ripped out on the Toad I was using..

I made a cast way upstream with a Spro Poppin Frog and I had a pike come flying out of the water trying to get it.  With that I was done.  The inlet didn't give me nothing.

I kinda get the feeling if I want to keep catching fish, I'm gonna have to get the Trophy out.   This area of MN didn't get the rain that most of the state saw in June and the fish just don't seem to be hanging at the GOMH like they did when the water was high.

No comments: