Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Topwater Tonight

I wasn't planning on fishing today, but the weather conditions changed my mind.  It was overcast, cool, and very little wind.  The forecast thunderstorms were called off.  I was on the water on Sullivan Lake a bit after 4PM. I tried hitting some docks first and that did't produce anything but I got a 16" bass on a  Zoom Super Fluke in some old weeds from last year.  I then got a pike, before having the Fluke get bit off.

I started throwing a Zoom Horny Toad and got a 15" bass on that and a small pike.  I missed several hits as well.

Then I moved to the PRO area that I fished on opener.  It was dead calm I got a small bass on the Grass Pig then I had a pike break my hook on the Grass Pig as it came into the boat.  It was dead calm and the water was 59°F so I started throwing my chartreuse firetiger Stanley Phantom (Spook) and promptly lost a good fish.  That is what I threw for the next couple of hours along with a Paycheck Baits Repo Man.  I caught 13 fish doing that dumping all of my bigger bites.  A little wind came up and that seemed to hurt the bite.  I tried throwing a spinnerbait but that didn't play.  At about 9PM I hit "the juice" at the River mouth and got my last couple of fish on the Phantom.

All in all it was a fun night.  If it weren't for the motor issues I'm having I would have gone into Platte Lake.  I need to see the Chiropractor tomorrow for my upper back.

No comments: