Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Fishing Report 4/30/07 (Dad at GOMH)

Got to the GOMH at about 7:20 and was dropped off by Dad so he could check on the Platte Lake house. When I arrived, two guys were sitting on the SW side with an empty chair; it turns out there were two ladies with the guys taking a potty break. The SE area of the GOMH was well covered by a boat. I elected to go down and take what was left of the SW side by the empty chair. I put on a minnow and got a bite immediately, which I promptly missed. When the hook popped free, I nearly whacked one of the other guys, and my bobber came whizzing in. I lost my split shot in that process, so now my bobber would lay on its side. My tackle box with the split shot was with Dad in the car.

I put on another minnow and quickly caught a silver bullhead, giving it to the two guys. At this point, I elected to stop using minnows and conserve them for Dad because he would be coming down after he checked the house; there weren't many minnows left. While fishing with just the Glo Cubby Mini-Mite, I caught a few oranges and one silver. The guys to my left were bringing in a silver every few minutes, and the SE side boat was catching them too.

Dad arrived, and I got a split shot so my bobber would stand up. We both fished the SW side. He started getting silvers on the crappie minnows, and I got oranges on the un-tipped jig. Shortly after Dad arrived, the two ladies came back, thus crowding the SW side. I decided to go over and fish what was available on the SE side. On the SE side, I caught one orange bullhead, gave up after about 15 minutes, and returned to the SW side. As I was returning, a guy fishing the NE side brought in a 5lb dogfish.

On the SW side with Dad, I started tipping my jig with minnows again and immediately began catching silvers. Dad was mainly missing bites. The guy in the boat on the SE side landed a dogfish. The two guys and two ladies were steadily bringing in fish, and with Dad and my help, they reached their 40-fish limit, so they left. It was getting dark by this point, and I only caught and released a couple more fish. Dad missed a few. When it got sufficiently dark, Dad and I decided to leave. We had two live minnows left.

No comments: