Monday, October 20, 2014

Mille Lacs Morning Scout Trip

21" Swamp Gas Grass Pig

Conditions: Around 42 degrees calm to a slight breeze out of the  WNW
5:20-7:30AM

Why have I never tried this before?
Answer:   Because I was happy to not put on waders and fish at Eddy's.  They have fences up at Eddy's now, so I was forced to try elsewhere and elsewhere means waders.

Why didn't I try this earlier in the year this year, especially after we had the big rains a month and a half ago?

Answer: It never even crossed my mind.

Well It's obviously October and the full Moon and the golden bullheads I got at the Grumpy Old Man Hole had me thinking Mille Lacs eyes.  So I decided to give it a try.

First stop was at the Shakopee Lake bridge.  Chris from last night told me he has gotten eye's there a few times fishing after dark.  I couldn't see anything with the spot light. I gave it 15 minutes then left.

Next stop was at the Whitefish Inlet.  My plan was to leave to fishing gear in the car and go spotlight for fish from the inlet to the rock pile.  I started at the inlet and there were quite a few really small eyes right at the inlet mouth and 1 descent sized fish.  As I waded out I saw 1 sucker, then nothing but one last 3 to 4 pound fish over by the rocks that I wasn't able to identify because it swam away from me heading SE and the spot light was dying;  I think it was an eye, but can't be sure.  I headed back and got my gear.

As I made my way North the the inlet I made the foolish mistake of leaving my tackle bag with the ruler in it sitting in one place and my jacket with the camera in it in another place both well before the inlet mouth.  There was an eye that looked to possibly be an eater right there at the inlet mouth.  I made a presentation to it, but it was more interested in checking me out and swam right up to and then spooked.  I was like dang that was an eater.  I started casting as I waded out deeper.  I had been fishing for maybe 10 minutes when I thought I might have had a hit.  I cast my Grass Pig back on the exact same line and sure enough, Eye On!
 Now is the time I realized the mistake I made in not bringing my stuff right up to the mouth.  It probably took me 10-15 minutes to walk back and get my stuff before I was back to fishing again and daylight was now fast approaching.  As light came up I saw a lot of baitfish activity at the surface and the occasional fish jumping or getting smashed by something just about at the end of my casting range and farther out.  I had a hit just a couple of cranks in and it swam pretty much straight at me full steam ahead.  I caught up with it once then it was back at me full steam ahead.  I caught up with it again when it was about 10 feet to my right.  I had no clue what kind of fish or what size it was until I laid my eyes on a small Pike, 21" or so.  It got off right in front of me went it kind of did a small upside down tail walk as I tried to land it.
My View When I Quit
It was almost 7:30AM now and I didn't know if the folks needed Mom's car back, so I foolishly made my way off the water and took the waders off before I thought to give Dad a call to see if they needed the car back.  They didn't.  By now the sun was coming up and I decided to go to Mcdonald's.
Sun Rise
On my way back I hit the access at Camp Lake, something I had inexplicably never done before.  I've fished the lake in the winter, but never gone there with open water.  Looks like it could have potential for largies and pike.  I also hit the GOMH, getting nothing.

No comments: