Thursday, April 19, 2012

Boats 1st Trip Out, Rock Lake

Traditionally I like to put my boat in for the first time of the year on rock lake because it has the best access of any of the area lakes and of coarse the rock dock.  I didn't get to the lake until 6PM which was OK because the weather hadn't been very good until then.  I wanted to put the boat on and leave it on the trailer so I could see it piss water before I put it in.  Well when I did that I had water quickly rising in the boat so I got out, pulled it back up and emptied it out and put a different plugin.  I did the same thing, but this time I figured out the bilge hole was below the water line and so it was coming in through the bilge.  I put the bilge over the side of the boat and that slowed down the flow pretty well, but not totally.  I got her started and she spit water, so I pulled it back out, pulled the plug out again put my fishing gear in and put the plug back in an launched her.  No problems.

I took one run South down the lake with the wind and got her up to 26 MPH, which I think is a record speed. I turned her back into the wind and got up to the mid 24's which is really good going into the wind.  I then proceeded to go into the Platte River Outlet (PRO) and go down to the Beaver Dam where the River runs out to Platte Lake.  Down by the Beaver Dam, there was a new big floating bog in place that ripped out from the shore in last years high water.
I put on a Lane's Grass Pig on a Berkley Swim Jig Head to try for some dogfish.  I fished the
beaver dam and didn't get nothing, so I headed to towards the bog and I got nailed by this pig ready to pop.
18.25"
She had to be pushing 4lbs.  As I went along the NW shore I noticed the pads where coming up pretty good at this point, but I didn't see any rice.

 As I was going along I noticed fish moving around so I put out a Cubby and started catching sunfish.

I got 9 of these guys from 4.5" to 6" inches.  One of them had a pike swipe at it.  I was hoping maybe a dogfish would get the same idea.  I saw fish get smacked by stuff a couple of time quite aways out from where I was sitting.  The water temp hit 50 degrees where I was getting them.   I also caught one nice 15" largie on the Cubby.
I ended up getting the Cubby caught on a pad and when I freed it one of the split shot came off and that pretty much ended my luck with the Cubby as I couldn't tell when to set the hook.

So I put the Grass Pig on and worked my way back to the Beaver Dam.  First fish as I got doing that was another sow 18 incher.
Not a fat as the first, but still it was a chub.  Next I got a 21" pike
Then I traded a 15 inch bass and an 18 inch pike.  Also missed a couple I think were small pike.  It started getting dark and I had a small dogfish follow to the boat and then disappear before I could throw a jig back at it.  Bummer.

I got down by the Beaver Dam and got this 17.5" fatso
I missed another fish and got one last 16" bass.   I headed off just after 8:30PM.  The Grass Pig and Cubby were the only things I threw, even though I had like 12 rods ready to go.

I went and fished at the GOMH and got skunked.  Nobody else was there.

No comments: