Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rock Dock Bad Luck

Tonight I took a picture of the Rock Dock cause I had a feeling I might get skunked. I think I headed out around 6:30 and my first stop was the GOMH. 3 Grumpy Old Men were in attendance and there were quite a few people fishing. The NE was open so I took that and I missed the only bite I got. By 7PM I was off to Bulldog for a quick stop with no luck, so per usual I next hit the Rock Dock.

I think I missed a bite right away on a brown/purple Monsoor Swim jig with brown grub. My next round of fan casting was done with a silver DM Custom Lures Piranha chatterjig and I got a bite from a little bass. I was going to take it's picture for the Bassholes May Dink Contest because it was even smaller than one I caught earlier this month. While I was going to get the picture sheet out of the camera case I was going to dip the little guy in the water and when I did that it got off, bummer. However, I was pleased not to be skunked even if it was a dink.

After a little while Grumpy Old Man Willard showed up. I had told him I was headed to the Rock access and he was hoping to get a pike from me. Apparently he had a close call with a guy and kid riding on an ATV, if Willard hadn't have been going fairly slowly he would have hit them. I put on the "secret weapon" orange/chart X-Rap but couldn't get a sniff. I cycled through several lures snagging a small sunfish on the watermelon Dead Stick Rogue that I caught the bass at Rock on yesterday. I was just about to give up with a last round of fan casting the brown/purple Monsoor Swim Jig when I had a solid hook up. It was a hard fighting pike and I got it most of the way into the dock when it took a hard run and got off. I went to tell Willard who was in his car that I just missed catching his supper. When I was talking with Willard I noticed that the jigs hook was no longer there. Sure enough this is the 2nd Monsoor Swim Jig hook I have had fail on me this week. The first time it happened the hooks wire looked clean, but this jig definitely had some rust issues. I will now do careful hook inspections on my Monsoor Swim Jigs when I use them in tournaments. I ended up trying a couple more things then split. Willard left shortly after I misse the pike.

Next I headed to Jenny's where I threw the silver DM Custom Lures Piranha. I got smacked 3 times with a swirl on one cast but didn't hook up. I threw right back to the area and hooked up with this 22 inch pike.


I did end the day at the GOMH and Lantern Man and John W. were there. Apparently they were going to try for golden bullheads after dark. It was pretty dark when I got there and I only got 1 small jumpin bullhead on the Piranha.

No comments: