Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Belated Fishing Report

I think I will start in the middle. It was a cloudy and windy day and I headed out to fish the usual suspects around 6:30PM. Bulldog gave up nothing and I missed a bite at Rock Lake. The thing was the wind was blowing into the access at Rock lake which lead me to believe there would be a favorable wind the Eddy's Jetti at Mille Lacs. I hit the GOMH and missed a good hit, then proceeded to catch 4 jumpin bullheads. My mind was on Mille Lacs so I headed out around 7:40 to go home for warmer close and the camera.

When I arrived at Mille Lacs a little after 8PM this is what I was surprised to see:
I expected rollers out of the S SE to be beating on the Jetti. Instead the wind was out of the SW and the lake around the Jetti was pretty mild. Fishing off the Jetti can be very good when the wind is coming in, and isn't so good if the wind isn't right.

I started chucking cranks off the North corner but that didn't produce a thing. I eventually headed to the North harbor mouth from the North Jetti. I gave things a half hearted effort until about 9:30PM when it was finally pretty dark. A boat had just come into the harbor and I decided to give my clown X-Rap an erratic retrieve like I use when I fish bass. I jerked the rod about 4 times and it was fish ON! I was able to land this 16inch eater.
I went to the car to get my bucket and showed off the fish to the guy who had just come in. The 3 guys managed 2 keepers. After getting the fish in the bucket I made my way back out onto the Jetti. On pretty much my next cast I snagged up solid and lost my clown X-Rap. I was not a happy camper. I tried a few different lures but didn't get any more hits. I saw 3 eyes come off the only launch Eddy's had out. It would have been a great trip if I didn't lose the lure.

Dawn Patrol: I got up early and went to the GOMH. It was mostly jumpin bullheads up to 16inches, but I did get one 21inch toothy bullhead. I was the only one fishing.

No comments: