Monday, April 13, 2009

GOMH Rescue Mission

Yesterday, I performed a little lure rescue mission at the GOMH that required me to use waders. Apparently, they put down a blanket of some fairly thick felt-like material before putting the rip rap in. A good chunk of this stuff was not covered up by a rock, and I got a lure caught in it. I am not sure, but I think the stuff semi-floats if it can. My lure was stuck off the bottom about 3 feet into the water. I got the lure stuck yesterday. I broke my line and tied it off to the bridge so I could come back and get at it. I got after it in my waders and armed with a knife, and it was a little trickier operation than I expected, thanks to the thickness of the material. Eventually, I cut out a chunk of material that surrounded the lure. I had to cut the lure out with scissors. The scissors actually cut the fabric much easier than the knife. After the mission was accomplished, I took the waders off and went fishing. I got a jumpin bullhead that was just short of 18 inches, and that was it. It was a really lovely night to be out, with little wind, lots of birds, including loons swimming around, and plenty of muskrats swimming in the area.

No comments: