Saturday, August 18, 2018

With Todd at the Melon Patch, With Steve in Todd's Pond

15.75" Ish's Phat Frog (Ballin')
Fog rolled in at about 7AM

6:00-10:00AM Melon Patch
58-68℉, Fog and Smoke Haze, 2-5 MPH SE S
3.65/17.25" Bobby's Perfect (Sparrow)
Todd got the first fish of the morning and I got a 14-incher and that was it for the first hour and a half.  The fog rolled in and the wind calmed down some. 
15.25" Bobby's Perfect (Sparrow)
Then I got the 15.25" thug out of the spot I first got a fish in the Melon Patch and the 17-incher shortly thereafter in the middle of a weed cover filled cove in the rice.  I got a 23" pike as we fished our way across the Melon Patch.  I think Todd missed a fish and I had a fish hit me in some pads in the rice and not get it.  The fish didn't go for any of my follow-ups.  We worked farther NE than I ever have after Todd lost a good one up that way.  I caught a 16.25".  Todd had what I estimated was a 30-inch pike dangling next to the boat.  He thought I was getting the net when I instructed him to just pull it into the boat.  As he began to do that the gator squirmed and got off.  Todd wasn't that disappointed about not getting a picture.  A little later on Todd had a pike bite of the Ish's, but I quickly got to the spot and found it floating.  I re-tied it on and about 3 casts later a bigger pike bit it off again, but this time it didn't resurface. Bummer.  I caught one last 12-inch bass giving us 6 for the morning trip.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16" Zoom Magnum Super Fluke (Disco Violet)
6:45-8:40PM Todd's Pond, Green Cabin Bay
77-73℉, Hazy Sun, 3-7mph SE Wind
78℉

We went to Todd's Pond to start.  I had a pike miss my Terminator Frog right away. Then Steve missed a couple of bites up against the cane.  I had a fish "dog me" in the reeds.  I couldn't get the fish to pick up anything else. Steve had something just suck his frog under the pads.  He set the hook hard but didn't get it.  I just heard the fish get off and figured Steve set the hook too quickly, but that wasn't the case the fish was moving off with the frog for several seconds before he set the hook.  It was probably a dogfish or had the frog by the legs.  I had another fish "dog me" this time by the rice where I had a bass miss my frog a few days ago.  I got the fish, probably the same bass as the other day, on the Mag Fluke.  I had one other fish "dog me" that I didn't get.  At about 8 I got us out of the Pond and headed for the SE corner of Inlet Bay, but I didn't like the way that looked and quickly moved us to Green Cabin.  I got a quick pike.  Steve missed a bite.  I got a 13-incher on the Terminator Frog and then rolled one about the same size.  That was the last bite of the trip.
15.38lbs for the Best 6 of the Day.


No comments: