Tuesday, August 21, 2018

GOMH, Big Rice, Fog/Green Cabin, Melon Patch, Big Rice & Broken Rod

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
15.25" X-Rap Shad Shallow (Perch)
6:00-6:50AM GOMH
7:30-10:30AM Big Rice Point
60-66℉, Fog, Cloudy, Light Rain, Calm to 5MPH
73℉
17" Bobby's Perfect (Sparrow)
I started at the GOMH when it was still pretty dark thanks to the fog and heavy overcast.  I got 4 jumpers there.  The 15.25" and 12-incher came on the perch Shad Shallow X-Rap.  I got a 15-incher on the chart/orange belly Rippin Rap and a 12.75" on the junebug chatterjig.  The Panfish guy showed up around 6:15, so I didn't fish the South side.
18.25" Picasso Jig/Craw Fatty (Sunfish/OkCraw)
The fog was still heavy when I left the GOMH.  It wasn't as bad on the East side of the lake, but once I was past the island I was down to maybe 30 feet of visibility.  Thanks to the GPS I found the reed edge and followed that around to Big Rice.  I didn't have any action until the fog had mostly lifted.  I missed the first blow up, which happened right next to the boat when I wasn't expecting it as I worked my way towards the tip along the front side.  I had a bass miss the frog in a hole in the rice, which I couldn't recoax into hitting.  I caught the 18-incher in a different hole in the rice.  I thought it was going to be a dogfish with the way it pushed water when it hit.  I got the 17-incher off the tip on the Sparrow Bobby's Perfect.  I had the Picasso Jig get bit off by a pike.  I also caught an aggressive 15-inch bass on the back side.  If it wasn't raining and cold I would have stayed out later.  I foolishly left my sweatshirt in the car, but rain wasn't in the forecast. How was I to know it might rain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17.25" Mad Maxx (Big Sexy)
6:30-9:05PM Chuck's Point, Melon Patch, Big Rice Point
70-60℉, Mostly Sunny, 6-2mph NW
73℉
17" Monsoor Swim Jig/Grass Pig Jr (GP/SG)
I put the red tackle bag on the center seat per usual.  Big mistake.  It got bounced off and broke my favorite frog rod, the 7'4" heavy Tatula.  I am very much now regretting not picking up more of them over the years as the rod is now discontinued and they have seemingly all been snapped up.  Just last week I did buy the same rod in a Tatula XT in a deal on eBay I couldn't pass up.  This was my inaugural trip with that rod in the boat; I put an old Team Daiwa X on the rod as well as a "Big Sexy" frog.  So not wanting to cry over spilled milk I picked up the XT and started casting in the reeds on Chuck's Point. I had a good blow up but discovered that the drag on the reel was totally backed off.  The fish got off. Not the ideal start to a trip.  I quickly decided I didn't like the way the TD-X felt on the rod, so I exchanged it for the Tatula that was on the broken rod.  Better, but not as good as feeling as the broken rod.  Nothing was taking the frog, so I switched to the Monsoor Swim Jig, different rod, and was into fish immediately.  I caught 5 bass (15.75, 13.75, 17, 12, 13.25) on the Monsoor Jig and lost 3 or 4 in the reeds as well.  I also got my first bass (15.5) on the new frog rod and a Sparrow Bobby's Perfect. The bite slowed down to a crawl around 7:15, so I headed to the Melon Patch, which was dead.  I caught one small pike on the Monsoor Jig and that was it.  I broke for Big Rice by 8:15PM. I was immediately rewarded with the biggest bass of the night, the 17.25" on "Big Sexy".  I caught 3 more bass (16.25,14,12) and a small pike on Big Sexy as well.  It stayed surprising light out and the skeeters weren't much of a bother, so I stayed out past 9.
18.25lbs (Fish 2 & 3 were from last night)
         

No comments: