Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Platte Lake Oct 13th: Bassless

Conditions: Today was sunny with temps in the mid 60's with about a 12MPH WNW wind switching to the SW around 6:30PM. I fished from about 4:30PM to 7:15PM

The Report:
My first stop was the reed bed off of the end of the Platte Public Access Peninsula Point. It was nice because it was semi-protected from the wind. I started with topwater but quickly switched from that to a 1oz brown, green pumpkin, and orange spinnerbait with large tandem copper Indiana blades. On the first cast I smacked a small pike. A couple minutes later I got another small pike, and after that I got a 25" pike.

Something got lit up in shallower water and I went in to investigate, but I couldn't make anything happen. I went back to where I was getting the pike, but now the area was dead, so I headed out onto the weed flat. After catching a couple more small pike. I switched to a 1oz brown, green pumpkin, and orange spinnerbait with large tandem copper Willowleaf blades. I ended up catching 5 more small pike with that.

I worked my way across the weedflat to the Southern shoreline of Channel Inn Bay were there is the remains of the summer rice beds. It looked good but it was dead. It was around 6:30PM and sunlight was diminishing quickly, so I was making my way out of the rice when I had a hit on a white Horny Toad. I wasn't paying attention and didn't really get a hookset and the fish came off.

When I got out of the rice I headed to the Big Middle Bay to the reeds where I got into the bass last night. One big problem, the wind had shifted out of the SW and it was blowing on the area pretty good. I gave up on topwater pretty quick and went to the spinnerbait. I got a couple of hits but didn't hook up. Eventually I went in closer to shore where it was calm. I had a hit on the Repo Man but didn't hook up and that was it for action.

I caught 10 pike total.

No comments: