Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Trophy at Rock

I tore myself away from the wild Vikes/Bears game at half time and took the Trophy (that's my boat) out to Rock lake. It was sunny calm and about 65 degrees which had the Asian lady beetles out in force. Visions of schools of big bass were dancing in my head as I shoved off by 2pm. I started on the trolling motor working North to the Rock Platte River Outlet Mouth (RPROM). I was trying different baits: Subwalks, Spinnerbaits, Poppers, Spro Frogs and JigNpig. I could see fish activity on the surface and missed a hit on a spinnerbait right away. I didn't get another bite until I was toward the end of the reeds when I missed two good strikes on the Spro frog in the reeds. I don't think they were big fish but it was a hopeful sign.

I worked my way over to the two isolated reed islands. I was tossing a heavy All-Terrain Scott Martin's Grassmaster with a beaver trailer when I got a hit that I didn't really feel, but I set the hook and ended up with a 15inch bass. I worked both reed islands with no more hits. Next I worked my way back to the backside of the reeds where I missed those two bites. I tried the frog and the jignbeaver but nothing worked. I then worked my way North and got a small Northern. I worked the North shore as it started to get overcast and more windy out of the North. I worked my way around the North Point and into the North bay with no takers on Frogs and spinnerbaits.

Next I worked the pocket just East of the Middle Point with nothing to show. I worked my way out onto the point as was rewarded with a small pike. It was quite cloudy and cooling down in that wind. I worked my way over to the sunken island and got a pike off the South End. Fishing was tough I was getting cold and I had enough, so I headed in around 6:30pm before it was even really getting dark. I should have made one more run at the reeds North of the access because it was calm and that was where the fish activity was earlier, Oh well.

Rock has been a stingy bass fishery this year, I have caught plenty of pike though.

No comments: