Monday, April 28, 2008

At least I caught something.

Fishing Report 4-28-08: Since the ice went off 5 days ago the weather has been cold the last 3 days. Today it only got into the low 40's and by the time I quit fishing I had problems with my guides icing up.

My fishing trip started out with a visit to Bear Trax to get my 2008 fishing licence and some minnows. On the fishing licence in big letters it says Expires: February 28,2009. This part of the licence is incorrect. A little lower on the licence in much smaller print it indicates the licence is good from 3-1-2008 through 4-30-2009 which is the correct information.

I like the fact that Minnesocold went to a 14 month licence that expires at the end of April instead of at the end of February. I had always thought it stupid that you had to buy a new licence before the ice fishing season is finished. The DNR would pinch people who would simply forget. The way they have it now makes much more sense because by the end of April ice fishing is done and May is the month of the "Fishing Opener."

Anyway headed to Rock first and the ramp was fixed and the dock was out. Unfortunately no fish were around. I tried for probably an hour and a half. I left for the GOMH with about 30 minutes to sunset. As I arrived a truck with a guy and 2 teenagers was leaving so I don't know how they did, but my guess is they got nothing to be leaving before the prime time bite really begins.

I got set up on the SW side of the GOMH and started fishing with a glow Cubby and a minnow. The water was at least a inch higher than yesterday and the water was slowly flowing into Platte. After about 20 minutes with no action I occupied my time by casting an X-rap to catch some floating weeds that could easily end up being a nuisance. After clearing those weeds to my satisfaction I went back to the Cubby and in short order when I got into the bullhead sweet spot my bobber jumped and quickly went under. I had hooked into a 2lb toothy bullhead. 3 Fish so far at the GOMH this Spring and 3 different species. I went through a long lull, during which time a pesky Beaver who is building a house 30 yards East of the bridge was swimming around and being annoying. During this time the water switched directions and started running slowly into Platte.

As it was getting quite dark my bobber went down and I landed a 16.25" jumpin' bullhead. A short time after that I land a small 1lb toothy bullhead that stole my glow Cubby body. Both of these bullheads also came out of the bullhead sweet spot. I tried for about 15 more minutes without a hit and left.

No comments: