Friday, April 09, 2010

Silver Bullhead Appearance- Mark It!

What I learned last night was that I might want to pick some minnows up today and I did just that on my way to pick up Widow Jenny as we headed over to her church for a Spaghetti Supper. After the supper was over I dropped off Jenny and headed to the GOMH, I think it was right around 6:30 when I arrived. There was a guy and a lady fishing the SE side, there were two boats fishing out in the middle of the channel a fair distance out from the bridge, and Grumpy Old Man Willard arrived just before I did. Willard told me the docks were not out at the accesses yet and then I headed to the truck to get my gear and headed down on the SW side.

The guy and the lady hadn't caught anything and I watched a lady in the closer boat bring in a bass. I think I had a hit right away on the Storm Wildeye Swim Shad but then things got slow and the guy and the lady fishing the SE side left. I switched to a glow Cubby Mini-Mite and a minnow. As I was bringing it closer to an isolated piece of dead bullrush the bobber went down, but I got nothing on the hook set. About 5 minutes later my bobber went down in about the exact same spot and this time I hooked into a small jumpin bullhead.


Shortly after that a family with a Dad, Mom, and two teenagers showed up. I have seen them before and the Mom fishes off the bridge, the guy took up the SE side and the two kids were messing around mostly not fishing. A little while after they arrived two young guys showed up and they came over to fish the SW side with me. Basically nothing was happening, the boats took off and after about 20 minutes the two young guys took off. Just as they left the Dad fishing the SE side caught a jumpin bullhead. A little while later I had something slap at the Storm Wildeye right up by shore. The sun went down and it was starting to get just a little dark and I was fishing the Cubby and a minnow by that isolated piece of bullrush when my bobber went down. And low and behold I caught me a 9.5 inch bullhead (silver bullhead).

About 15 minutes later when it was sort of dark I was fishing by that isolated bullrush again and my bobber went down and I brought in this 11.75" bullhead.

It was getting pretty dark but I was able to tell my bobber disappeared about 15 feet out, so I set the hook and brought in a 13" jumpin bullhead. It was not the one I caught earlier; I know because the first one had a unique bottom jaw.

After that fish it was time to switch to the lighted bobber and Custom Jigs Glow Demon. After about 45 minutes of nothing I was fishing in the vicinity of that same isolated piece of bullrush when my bobber bounced moved and then went down. I was able to land a 10.25" silver bullhead and that would be it for tonight's action.

No comments: