Saturday, April 10, 2010

Rock & GOMH

After dropping off the filleted crappies at Jenny's I headed over to the Rock Lake public access, this was just after 5PM. For about 45 minutes nothing was happening then I caught this pike and bass within 10 minutes of each other but with casts in opposite directions.


The Pike was about 23 inches and the bass was only 14.5" but super thick, a very healthy fish well over 2lbs. Both were caught on a brown grub.

At 6:30PM I headed to the GOMH. There were 2 boats on the Sullivan side, but they both took off as I was unloading my gear. There was a guy on the SW side and a couple of people with him were on the North side. I took up the SE side and proceeded to start fishing a 2" Storm Wildeye Swim Shad. The other guy and his friends had not caught anything and he didn't see the boats get anything either. About 15 minutes in I got bit off by a pike. After about another 15 minutes the others left, so I took my gear and went over to the SW side.

Some guy showed up and asked if I had gotten any crappies, naturally I told him no. He went back to his truck and got a rod and started fishing the SE side. Soon after that Willard showed up and got out of his mini-van and headed out to talk with us. Apparently the guy had a bite but missed it and was gone in half an hour. Nothing was happening for me as I switched between the Wildeye and a glow Cubby Mini-Mite tipped with a minnow. Eventually the guy and his wife that have been fishing at the GOMH in recent days showed up. He fished the SE side and she fished from the bridge per usual. They both got jumpin bullheads eventually. Around 7:30PM Grumpy Old Man Lee Anders son-in-law showed up with one of his boys. I didn't realize who it was at first and I told them I hadn't gotten any crappies yet, but when I realized who it was I told him about the 3 I got last night.

It had to be about 7:45PM when I got my first bite and it turned out to be this 12.5" silver bullhead.
A little while later Lee Anders grandson missed a bite. Soon after that a couple more of Lee Anders grandsons showed up. They had been fishing Fish Lake by Pierz and catching a bunch of crappies that were to small to keep.

It got basically to dark to see my bobber and I didn't realize the bobber had gone under. I lifted my rod there was a nice 10" silver bullhead had inhaled the Cubby on the end of my line. At that point I switched to the lighted bobber. Maybe half an hour later my bobber started bouncing around and eventually the fish took it and I landed a 8" silver bullhead. It had swallowed the Custom Jigs Glow Demon and I ripped it's gills up pretty good retrieving the Demon, so I kept it. That was it, another night, another 3 silver bullheads to clean.

No comments: