Friday, May 22, 2009

Short Trip with Pete


Tonight my buddy Pete showed up around 5:30PM and we were on the water around 7:30PM. The plan was to only use the trolling motor and stay close to the cabin, basically fishing to the East past Jenny's and then back.

Even though I had a big head start in casting, Pete nailed the first two pike. Pete wanted to keep fish and kind of gave me the impression he knows how to get all the bones out of pike, turns out he really didn't (Pete says he made no such claim). When he filleted the 4 fish we kept I think he did each one a little differently depending upon what we read and saw on the internet.

I only brought 2 rods out with me and the DM Custom Baits Piranha was not stoking any action so I switched up to the brown/blue Monsoor Swim Jig with green pumpkin Zoom Speed Craw trailer. It wasn't long after I made the switch when I came up with my 1st fish which was a 12inch or so bass. I think my next fish was a pike, then I went on a streak of bass and missed bites. Just like last night we were fishing an old reed bed and over the top of young of the year short growth wild rice beds. Pete mostly caught pike on a small muskie spinnerbait called an Eagle Tail. It was a very pleasant night to fish. I think I ended up with 7 or 8 bass and 3 pike with about 7 or 8 missed bites. I think the biggest bass was 14.5." I pretty much went through what was left of the green pumpkin Zoom Speed Craw trailers, so now I am out of that color.

Pete caught about 6 pike and 2 bass and missed the biggest bass of the night.

No comments: