Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Yesterday at GOMH

Posted by Hello

Ok, it's more jumpin bullheads. I got out about the same time as last night but it was about 10 degrees colder, just as windy, but no rain. I started off with the twister beetle spin, but got nothing. I switched to a chart/sparkle Cubby Mini-mite tipped with a minnow. Boom the bobber was down and something was stripping my 4/1 Fireline off the Light Action Cubby Rod and Daiwa reel. I had no clue what it was and thought it may have been a nice pike or even a carp. It felt like it got hung up on something in the current and I couldn't move it for quite a while then it finally came loose and then she swam over along the bulrushes and dug in there. I thought it might even be a doggy at this point. After quite a while it finally swam out of the rushes and got out where I could see what it was, nice Bullhead. I finally got it in and she was just shy of 20inches.

I kept fishing the Cubby and got a light bite but it let go. I jiggled it and the bobber slowly went down, and so I set the hook on dis one:
Posted by Hello

I thought for sure it would be a Crappie or walleye the way the bobber went down, but just another Bullhead. Oh a couple of fish rolled out in the current tonight, maybe Suckers???. This one was either 18" or just short of it.

As it was getting dark, two guys showed up with worms to fish bullheads and suckers. They didn't get anything but I got another JB. Unfortunately this one ripped my Cubby tail right off. Can you believe it, three stinking fish and the tail is gone. Terminator or Strike King need to make a Cubby pattern with their stretch plastic. Anyway the last one was about 17."

Today I went down to the lake front to test some of my new lures and that Calcutta that screwed me last year costing me a limit on the 2nd Team Bass Platte/Sullivan last year appears to be working again. I should not have bought that Super Rogue which turned out to be a Dead Stick Rogue* (don't have much confidence with these), the pink Rapala Husky Jerk 10 is a slow sinker so I'll try and put on a smaller front treble. This is the 2nd "Glass" Husky I've bought that was a slow sinker. At least you can add a suspend dot to a floater. The Glow floater Rogue just needs to be tuned. I did some work in the shed was too cold to work on the boat. Should be doing the boat tomorrow.
*(As it turned out that Dead Stick Rogue was a great fish catcher. I lost it to a pike after a couple of years)

No comments: