Sunday, April 17, 2005

Different Day Different Bite

Bass Saturday April 16th 2005

Got up a bit late but eventually headed to Ginny's to watch the Bass Saturday Shows. I'll have to do a Bump Board this week. KVD on jerk baits on BassMaster U. and Hack is a guy you gotta luv.

Anyway, when I left Ginny's there was a pontoon boat off it's trailer at the end of her drive way. They had a flat, so they lowered the pontoon to the ground. Was a beautiful humid morning with no wind. I didn't get out in the boat until about 11:30 or so. Started with trying to make another Glass HJ suspend, still a sinker, need lighter weight split ring, but my guess is that won't do it.

Headed to the GOMH. Got 3 Bass including a thin/male??19" that had a pretty good rip in his jaw. All these on twister tail. After fishing there for a while I went to check the South shore run up to PRO. Had 1 little bitty pike strike and that's it. I expected to run into the bulls or Crappies at any time because it all looks so good. No Bulls today, but got 3 bass and a one eyed walleye on the Pink Panther and the silver stinker. It had been fairly overcast until I reached the PRO and so I decided to try pitching a white jignpig for doggies. I thought I'd catch at least one for sure and I was thinking state record it looked so good but only had one pike grab it that I shook off. Pitching is still fun even if you catch zilch, no panfish anywhere in the Pro today???? Pike must be on to em or...

Had lunch at the Speed Bump and saw a decent size perch. Then back out of the PRO, just outside the Pro on the North side in the straw I pulled this 20.25" Bass, also with a funky jaw from being hooked before.
Posted by Hello

Anyway searched the North end outside the PRO for a bit and decided with the sun and warmth at this point maybe Greenhouse bay would be good. As I was running and cutting the corner to get the the GOMH, I went through a bunch of fish, so I went a bit farther pulled a U and put down the trolling motor. Sure enough some of these fish were Crips. But they were spooky and basically roaming the flats sparse veg. and high points, making them a tough target. Managed to get one good one, one 8" and miss a couple of other bites. I think they wanted minnows but I only had a few left so I just kept trying plastic, the first one bit a pink panther paddletail and just annihilated it. I kept after these guys for a good hour, and it was after 6 so I headed to the Green house bay by way of the CIB. Ohh yeah Willard was at the GOMH along with a bunch of other non-GOM. Forgot to get a pic.

In the CIB lots of Straw along the W-SW shore, also came across a bunch of something while cruising through the stuff. I stopped, but never figured out what all was in there. The Straw was so thick it fouled the motor a couple of times. Then went up the Greenhouse for a quick pass, had what must have been a pike blow up at my bobber and no sign's of fish. I then ran to Double Ditch but the sun was probably to low now for the fish to be up high if they were even in there also a 5MPH wind had come up from the SW. Nothing in DDB, so I headed back through the GOMH to where the Crappies were. Got 6 good bites and had a couple of nice Crappies on but missed all 6 bites, only got 1 8.5" Crip. They definitely wanted minnows. Heading back in a guy did get a nice Crip at the GOMH as I came along, said it was the 1st anything they had seen.

Someone was talking big dogfish on FM.com from a West Metro lake. It's supposed to be mid 70's tomorrow and the water temps were mostly 50-51 tonight, so I may go pooch hunting on the north end tomorrow, also need to check the straw in CIB and maybe try that flat with the Crappies some more.

No comments: