Saturday, April 25, 2009

Still Not a Dud or Stud


Today the weather was a little nicer than expected with sun temps in the mid 50's and little wind. I headed over to Bear Trax to get minnows around 5PM. When I arrived at the GOMH there was a pretty big crowd on and off shore. I parked on the SE side and stood and observed for a good 15 minutes. I saw quite a few fish getting caught on shore and in the boats, it was mostly orange bullheads, but an occasional silver bullhead was getting caught too.

It was pretty close to quarter to 6PM when I made my way down on the SE side which already had 4 guys fishing it. One of those guys was Bucket Man sitting on his bucket closest guy to the channel. The guys next to me were getting a bunch of orange bullheads. One of these guys tied into a bigger fish that proceeded to snag him up on the bottom and he had to break his line.

I heard the familar voice of "Grumpy Old Man" Lee Ander over on the SW side. After about 20 minutes Lee Ander got picked up by a boat and a group left the SW side. Since I wasn't catching anything I seized the opportunity and moved to SW side on the rock bar that is closest to the channel. With the way Bucket Man was fishing I had a lot of water where I could cast the Storm Wildeye Swimbait baby bass. There was a guy and his son fishing over by the rushes on the SW side catching orange bullheads.

I started casting across the boat channel and was quickly rewarded with several small jumping bullheads. Eventually I did hook into a really nice silver bullhead. For the next 2 hours I proceeded to fan cast the Storm Wildeye catching numerous mostly small (8-12inch) jumpin bullheads, 1 toothy bullhead, and 1 more really nice silver bullhead. I had one swimbait tail get bit off, another one almost get bit off, and had one swimbait stolen by a toothy bullhead. During this time "Grumpy Old Man" Willard showed up and started fishing with me and "Grumpy Old Man" Lewis came by for the first time this year. I learned from Willard that the guy with the teenage kids who I have fished next to a couple of times this year is Lee Anders son-in-law.

Another quick story is that as I was bringing the toothy bullhead across the road to release on the North side of the GOMH, a car pulling a boat rolled down his window and asks me if I am the Basspastor. Apparently one of my blog readers who's name I forget was out on Platte/Sullivan checking out the lake and he stopped to let me know he enjoys the blog.

As the sun set the action slowed down on the 1/8oz swimbait but I noticed some boats and the guys on the SE side starting to catch some bullheads so I switched to the bobber set up with the orange Flu Flu. I caught 2 silvers that I kept, 3 that I gave to Willard and one mini bullhead. As it was getting dark Lantern Man showed up and started fishing the SE side which had been vacated of people. Willard went home with a nice bag of silvers and oranges. I doubled my normal quota and brought home 4 silver bullheads (picture).

Also of note I saw a boat catch a dogfish.

1 comment:

Fish Whisperer said...

Great read. I am a bit jealous. I miss that kind of fishing.
Tight lines