Friday, April 17, 2009

Rush Again and GOMH

The plan today was to meet Rednek from Lakestatefishing.com forums to try a little crappie fishing on Anne Lake in Kanabec County. While waiting at the ramp I got a call from Red letting me know that his water pump had just gone out when he was on his way and so he wasn't going to make it. Oh well, since I was half way there I decided to give West Rush another try.

I decided to start out on the East shore like yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised to find an open parking spot. The place I fished yesterday was covered up by people. I found a open spot about 50 yards North of where I was yesterday. This spot was not ideal for a long cast. I think I caught a couple of small sunnies and the guy just to the South of me was catching sunnies. The people to the North of me on the dock were catching sunnies. After about 45 minutes a group of people that were fishing North of the dock started packing up, so I moved over there. They only got sunfish. This spot was a lot better for casting and I had some room to move around. I started catching some sunnies but they were smaller than yesterday. One time my Rocket Bobber stood up and started going down and I set into a 8.5 inch Crappie. I gave it to the guy with his family fishing just to the North of me. I kept catching smaller sunnies and got one more 8 inch crappie. About 7pm was when the action was best last night and tonight it got slow, so I decided to make a move. I had not seen many crappies get caught, way fewer than yesterday. I went over to the West shore and quickly tried a couple of things there, but it was pretty obvious I wasn't gonna get into any crappies so I bugged out.

I made it to the GOMH about 25 minutes after sunset. Platte looked like it was ice free. A guy and his son were fishing the SW side and they said they got 3 sunfish (orange bullheads). It looked there had been a big spill of gas on the Platte side of the GOMH as there was a thick colorful film taking up a big area. I took the up the SE side and caught nothing. When the father and son left I tried the SW side until dark and got nothing. I checked the Platte public access and it was free and clear of ice, so I called Platte Lake ice off today.

No comments: